• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weight of Korum fast mat and supa lite fast mat

H, just try standing up, you'll be surprised how quick you get used to it. When Im roving I always stand and I always hold the rod too, you can travel very light and cover miles that way.

I am forever trying to cut down on carrying weight and stuff I don't really need. I seem to have found the solution in the Drennan specimen net bag, in green of course not the gaudy match colours😑
In that I can stuff all I need for a session, fold up net, fold up stool with back rest being the Shaky Noddy Mk 2, roll mat flask, and all essential bits. I could probably dispense with the stool, but on flat ground its great and very comfy, and above all easy to get out of being of a certain age.
Rod (s) are topped and tailed with tip protectors and bank sticks Drennan handle are all wrapped up in the protectors. I have a Velcro sling if needed.
I find quivers useless when roving ...a few years back I got a high quality fishing vest, multi pockets from a charity shop, it really is great for hook rigs, small camera wallet etc ....and serves two purposes as clothing and a bits thingy and giving the appearance that I actually know what I am doing.☺
Why quiver is useless when roving, Neil? Isn't that what it designed for?

H, just try standing up, you'll be surprised how quick you get used to it. When Im roving I always stand and I always hold the rod too, you can travel very light and cover miles that way.
Yeah, I do stand a lot of time when roving since I only stay 20-30 mins in one swim, just some times it feels better to sit down especially after you travelled miles.

I don't like quivers either, never have. Rods in hand with net and banksticks, and a Thinking Anglers multi strap if more than 1 item of each!

If I have a few hours roving & it's not too rainy I find this handy - about 400g - carried in the net.
ae235.jpg

Yeah, make sense. Much quicker to have your rod in hands. Although I need to have my hands free for the bike.
I get it, was pondering the same as was contemplating a motorcycle..never too old eh? I have a strap that binds top and bottom, and Korum just brought out one, attaches to tip and butt protector. But I guess you need some protection too.

I get it, was pondering the same as was contemplating a motorcycle..never too old eh? I have a strap that binds top and bottom, and Korum just brought out one, attaches to tip and butt protector. But I guess you need some protection too.
I assume you mean the rod saver from korum? I used to try the similar idea but yes, it is OK when you are walking, but with a bike, I do prefer some protection.

that's brilliant, thanks Julian for the inspiration.
I suppose it's obvious but it's a closed cell foam so absorbs no water & comfy enough to make it worthwhile as a seat. Really useful as a kneeling mat when working under the sink or on a rubble floor etc. (I'm afraid mine has heard some awful language!)

Have a look at Eurohike chair at Go Outdoors. They are on offer for less than a tenner. Great in tight swims or steep banks. Very light and portable.

There’s a firm called ‘midwater luggage’ that makes seat box cushions for match style boxes. Any shape/size/colour you like.

One of those would make a decent roving seat……

It's not actually a chair, it folds flat for carrying and has a base and back with adjustable straps to alter the angle. Wish I knew how to transfer the image from Go Outdoors.

This is mine, two Velcro straps keep it closed for carrying and there is a big net pocket on the back. Great for tight spots, steep backs of when moving swims.

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_090719.jpg
    IMG_20220817_090719.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20220817_090738.jpg
    IMG_20220817_090738.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 94
Back