• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weight estimation.

Chris Jones

383661448.jpg

Here's the back story, it's a river Ure fish from a few years ago. Caught by a mate that's not a barbel angler and didn't have any scales with him when he caught it. I know it can be a dicey thing to estimate fish weights as sometimes they just don't weigh what they look like they should. However, if a general consensus could be arrived at, without anyone falling out over it, it would be appreciated.
My own guess would be a tentative 11lb(ish) with a reasonably safe shout of it being a double. Over to you.

I reckon it's a double - 10.5lb..? To be fair, I fish the Gt Ouse, so I had to look to my 'Ladybird Book Of Coarse Fish' to identify the species!

Between 9lb 15oz and 10lb 2oz

it looks all of 11lb to me! Its very hard to tell from a pic though, most cant even get it right even when they have scales!

Last edited:
having looked at an 11.4 i caught and weighed from the severn, i would say its around 11ish. Nice fish from the ure:)

Tight lines

Alan

Nice chunky double - I'd say 11lb 2 & 3/4 ozs.... roughly. :rolleyes:

I like these guess the weight pics.

This one ?

23.jpg

Back