• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weighmaster scales

Hi Chris,

I think I had some of these many moons ago...do they have a rectangular, shiny black case/body, with a handle on the top with bars that retracts into the body, and a fairly low maximum weghing capacity?

If they are the one you mention, they are great, except for the max capacity.

Cheers, Dave.

I would suggest they are the least reliable of the scales in popular use. I have checked several and found large errors. All scales can show faults but check these before use. Buy any product in the supermarket that will be weighed [veg or fruit] and the correct weight will be shown. This will be in Kilos but you can convert them to lb and oz.

Hi Phil,

It seems that you have researched scales in your usual thorough way...not that I would have expected anything less from you.

If, as you say, these particular scales are possibly the worst on offer, what would you say are the best? I need to replace mine shortly, and your experiences on relevant committees could prove invaluable in helping with my choice.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
David , I would agree with the others , dreadful scales , wildly inaccurate even from brand new , I tried 2 sets before giving up . For absolute reliability try Avons or Reubon Heaton dial scales . Avoid anything digital ...

Don’t even think about it

My partner bought me a set for my birthday the very first time I used them the mechanism inside jammed and locked up while trying to weigh a carp of about 20lbs

I sent them back to Reuben Heaton who badge them as flyweights now and they sent me a new set by return without any letter of apology or explanation of why they failed

They are now in the garage stored away probably never to be used

Get some Avon scales from Ebay – they won’t let you down

Dave

The tare on mine moves a lot when they're sitting in my bag, and are always way off when i go to zero them on a wet sling. However, once zeroed they're ok. I check them now and again against bought goods, and the accuracy is good. Maybe just lucky though, from what others are saying. I do look after them though, in terms of keeping them out of the mud and rain wherever possible.

The tare on mine moves a lot when they're sitting in my bag, and are always way off when i go to zero them on a wet sling. However, once zeroed they're ok. I check them now and again against bought goods, and the accuracy is good. Maybe just lucky though, from what others are saying. I do look after them though, in terms of keeping them out of the mud and rain wherever possible.

My findings are he same as Gary's, they do move about and you have to double check them when zeroing weigh slings. Howver, also using Phils supermarket accurracy check, I have found them to be as good as any others I have owned. Just need to double check settings before weighing fish.

I bought a set a few years ago because they were lighter than my Avons. Junked them after a short time as you couldn't get the same weight twice with the same fish.

Bought a new set of Avon's............Magic.

I never bother with trying to zero mine as the zero moves so much as others have said. Have found them to give accurate, and repeatable, results when weighing by difference, i.e. deduct the weight of the empty net after weighing the fish in it.

Hi all,
I was looking at getting some new scales but fancied a digital set for ease of zeroing ( is that actually a word???) and precise wieghts, what are everyones thoughts? I notice Mike H has stated not digital! would you care to elaborate?
cheers all and tight lines, Leon

I have a pair of salter didital scales,the grey ones.I find them to be very reliable and could highly recommend them

i always preferred Avons to Weighmasters, but I'm sure those that like them have reason to do so. I carried rapala digitals for a while. They were ok in the ranges I used, but in the end i went back to the avons - no battery issues. I have one set which i've owned from original (40lbs) and another (32lbs) I got for a tenner or so on ebay. Quick going over the dial with brasso made them good as new. Use the latter for barbel and the former for carp. Always accurate, always reliable. A bit heavier and bulkier than the digitals, but it is hardly any price to pay for peace of mind.

Back