• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

waterproofing jackets

Robert Linwood

hi there chaps can any one recommend a decent waterproof spray for my fishing jackets the jackets I’ve got were waterproof but the last few outings in the rain I’ve noticed not as good as they once were. Any advice would be great

Cheers rob

hi there chaps can any one recommend a decent waterproof spray for my fishing jackets the jackets I’ve got were waterproof but the last few outings in the rain I’ve noticed not as good as they once were. Any advice would be great

Cheers rob
I re proof my berghaus goretex with Nikwax Tx spray… very impressed so far

Cheers rob
If its expensive Goretex then try and get some graingers repel x / extreme (now discontinued due to flurocarbon content) - always give items a good wash in a low soap detergent and use the current nikwax / graingers spray on re proofers. Wash and spray is far better than the 'wash in' alternatives - also use a tumble dryer on low heat after spraying as this adds to the overal DWR.

However . . .if its aftermarket fishing gear or older gear (and after the same washing process as above) I usually use Fabsil gold (tent proofer) as it provides a much better water beading seal and lasts waaay longer in between re-treatments than any of the 'recommended' clothing proofer alternatives. Yes you loose some breathability but other than walking to the bank fishing is not mountaineering / skiing! I decant the fabsil gold into a dedicated pressure sprayer - hang items on the line then spray them thouroughly and dry thouroughly.

I've fabsilled all my fishing clothing - everything from waterproof jackets and trousers to puffa jackets and softshell trousers . . . and several brollies and bivvies!

Havent tried it yet but some swear by this stuff - designed for re-proofing convertible car soft tops etc

Last edited:
Diver Daves Repel, is working well for me , not much of a recommendation in drought conditions I know. But the water beads and runs well off my neoprene waders on the few times I have had call to use them so far this season. It’s available on eBay should anyone be interested.

Another recommendation for the Nikwax spray. After a wash in the machine with liquid soap, spray on a liberal coating of the stuff and the tumble dry on low heat.

I have been using Kampa spray for a couple of years its does a brilliant job on waterproofing jackets hats even canvas shoes. A large tin for around £6.

Diver Daves repel for me too.
Water just beads off, read the instructions a couple of things to be aware of.
Top bloke too if you need breathable waders.
Dave

Nikwax or Grangers for Goretex/Event/Paramo etc same as previous replies. Just an insight-most people wait to long to reproof hard shells, wash regularly every 10 or so times you wear the jacket-don't wait for the jacket to wet out, and don't worry about the machine process wearing out the jacket. As soon as the jacket stops beading, give it one with the Nikwax/Grangers, or administer a pray on the high wear areas (shoulders where the DWR is rubbed off), you'll keep the jacket functional for longer. However-most shells are at best weather/water resistant, even if they state a H/H of 30,000 plus (Hydrostatic Head, anything over 10,000 is considered waterproof-ideally 20-30,000 is good).
Cheers DT

Cheers rob
Hi Rob , look on e bay for Diver Daves repel it’s better than anything

Back