• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof / Goretex trousers

Robin Salter

It won't be long now before it's time to push through the dew laden overgrown river banks...I'm after some light trousers that will keep the wet at bay. Not after overtrousers.. Something Goretex I would think.. What are the military ones on eBay like to wear? Any other suggestions?

Seetex are the ones I use. Both light and comfortable - and, most importantly, waterproof.

Edit: Seeland is the company, Seetex is the material. :)

I've got a pair of Craghoppers Aquadry 20000 trousers which I use for fell walking. Kept me dry all spring, light and comfortable.

I have 2 pairs of the military one's the heavyweight for winter use and the lightweight both in mtp. Both are superb as an over trouser, I personally haven't used them as a trouser alone. If your after a vortex type trouser then the seeland type etc is the way to go, but get your wallet ready. The British army lightweight are as they say very light and easily pack down in a small bag. Ideal for summer use. You can get a new set off eBay for around 30 pound.

Always worth considering gaiters or chaps ( half or full length) depending if you wear wellies or prefer boots.
Plenty of choice of thorn proof materials if you look at shooting/ beating / angling and hiking sites.
I like the gaiters which can easily be clipped on above boots or wellies for that walk across wet fields and then stashed away when not required.

They can be pricey, for sure, Jon, though Seeland are comparatively cheap. You get what you pay for with lightweight, breathable and waterproof trousers - to a degree. Obviously, you can pay a lot more for Harkila, etc, though I don't think (in this case) the extra cost is reflected in the quality or functionality, over Seeland.

I have not seen them in the flesh but a mate told me he had the
JACK PYKE TECHNICAL FEATHERLITE TROUSERS he just bought a pair from Ebay and was saying how good they are maybe worth checking them out ?
I use ex military over trousers myself

They can be pricey, for sure, Jon, though Seeland are comparatively cheap. You get what you pay for with lightweight, breathable and waterproof trousers - to a degree. Obviously, you can pay a lot more for Harkila, etc, though I don't think (in this case) the extra cost is reflected in the quality or functionality, over Seeland.
I had a set of the seeland keeper trousers, but tbh I rarely wore them. Reasons being they were too warm in the summer and come winter or autumn I used craghopper winterlined trousers and the seeland just didn't fit into my spectrum. I has the seeland keeper jacket too which saw a little more action and again it didn't fit in as my mtp goretex and a good top more than sufficed. I have a couple of Harkila jumpers but with the keeper gear I much preferred them for shooting and taking the dog out rather than fishing. I'm retired ex military so that does sway my preference.

Robin, whatever you buy, I wouldn't recommend anything secondhand. The repellency is usually shot on these and they wet-out because of this. Military stuff, new, is the way to go.

I had a set of the seeland keeper trousers, but tbh I rarely wore them. Reasons being they were too warm in the summer and come winter or autumn I used craghopper winterlined trousers and the seeland just didn't fit into my spectrum. I has the seeland keeper jacket too which saw a little more action and again it didn't fit in as my mtp goretex and a good top more than sufficed. I have a couple of Harkila jumpers but with the keeper gear I much preferred them for shooting and taking the dog out rather than fishing. I'm retired ex military so that does sway my preference.

I'm ex-military too, Jon, and have a DPM Goretex jacket (unlined) that I wear throughout the season. The keepers are fine for my summer fishing. :)

Be wary of the British MTP goretex stuff: the early batches were originally produced by a Chinese manufacturer and leaked, ripped and were generally awful. The MOD sold these off fairly quickly and had them replaced so a lot of the surplus MTP pattern are a bit dicey. The Dutch army goretex and US stuff is far superior - I've several U.S. pieces that are just superb.

Always worth considering gaiters or chaps ( half or full length) depending if you wear wellies or prefer boots.
Plenty of choice of thorn proof materials if you look at shooting/ beating / angling and hiking sites.
I like the gaiters which can easily be clipped on above boots or wellies for that walk across wet fields and then stashed away when not required.

Hi men ,

Yep , good call , Sue got some gaiters for the pair of us in a nice olive green cheap at a country fair . Awesome bit of kits , and as the dew drys out they roll up and take up no room at all .

Hatter

Back