• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof Bite Alarm

Steve Walker

I have a couple of cheap and cheerful Korum bite alarms which have given me good service for a couple of years.

When tackling down on the river bank at dusk last night one of them slid down the steep bank into the margins of the Trent.:(

I was unaware of this until packing away and couldn't find one of the alarms,after searching for about 10 minutes in the fading light I shone my torch into the river and there it was,completely submerged in about a foot of water.:mad:

Fearing the worst,I retrieved it,removed the battery cover to drain the water from the battery compartment,all the time thinking about a trip to the tackle shop to replace it with a new one.I switched it on,more in hope than anything and incredibly it worked perfectly :D

A quick squirt of magic spray this morning and all is still well,note to self;be more careful when tackling down in the dark ;)

Good, what you should expect from any alarm.

It's more than I expected David,when I saw the alarm lying on the bottom of the river I thought it would have to be replaced.I wonder if some of the more expensive bite alarms would pass the same test.

I when setting up managed to knock one micron into the lake ,,as I went to grab it I knocked the other one in,,both were in the water for about half an hour ,,both worked fine after being dried out!!

I tested my fox sx's the old ones, in a bucket of water, water got in but still worked ok.

It's more than I expected David,when I saw the alarm lying on the bottom of the river I thought it would have to be replaced.I wonder if some of the more expensive bite alarms would pass the same test.
Apparently the new delks are cr*p when it comes to this...lol:D

I found out the hard way with a Delkim TXi about a year a go.

They definitley dont like being dropped in the edge of a lake.

Just replaced my cheapo ones with a pair of Delkim EV's because the cheap ones always acted up when it rained! Or is the Delkim problem down to TOTAL immersion?

Just replaced my cheapo ones with a pair of Delkim EV's because the cheap ones always acted up when it rained! Or is the Delkim problem down to TOTAL immersion?

Delkims are fine Steve, just a load of cobblers on one of the Carp forums ! Ok you may be pushing it by chucking them in the lake but thats hardly normal usage is it ? i've had various Delks since they first did the Optonic conversions, now have TXI PLUS's and never had a single issue with any of em.

Oh, and before anyone says it, a short length of insulating tape on top of the battery cover stops them sliding open when you pull them out of hard cases, thats if checking them is too challenging for you :rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Iv had no problems with my txis up to press been out for a week in downpours but i always take the covers off them when i get home after all £530 quid is not something you want to spend every week :)

Iv had no problems with my txis up to press been out for a week in downpours but i always take the covers off them when i get home after all £530 quid is not something you want to spend every week :)

Up to press?? Why spend £530? Is that 3 alarms and reciever? :confused:

Yeah iv had no problems at all delkims and they are the countrys best selling alarm!! Yeah thats for 3 and reciever. I bought them because nothing comes close them in terms of.....well everything to be honest mate!!!

Yeah iv had no problems at all delkims and they are the countrys best selling alarm!! Yeah thats for 3 and reciever. I bought them because nothing comes close them in terms of.....well everything to be honest mate!!!

Well some will argue that the sound of a rapidex,aerial or fred crouch jet ripping line off are the best and original alarms of all, but I guess if Carbelling is your thing then thats what it is mate!!!!!:D

Please add Speedia and even Cortesi checks to that list!
Not yet used a bite alarm while river fishing, but do use them when tenching, though even then it's a rare thing as I prefer to fish a float.

Steve, I should have thought such a traditionalist would be using a swing or quiver tip when ledgering for tench! Alarms indeed ;)

Well some will argue that the sound of a rapidex,aerial or fred crouch jet ripping line off are the best and original alarms of all, but I guess if Carbelling is your thing then thats what it is mate!!!!!:D

Good luck in using a 6-8oz lead on the tidal trent with a pin :D. Although i should have kept my rapidex for the less powerful rivers ;)

I recently tried an Optonic alarm made by Efgeeco [ a gift form a friend ] . You can pick these up very reasonably on E bay and don't seem to mind the rain :)

Back