• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Water temperature

Jeff Smith

I notice that on a couple of the river report forums that current water temperature is often quoted.
As a river pike angler, I’m quite keen to keep an eye on temperatures before I start my winter piking campaign.
As a relative newcomer to barbel fishing I’d be interested to find out at what LOW temperature do you guys not bother with barbel fishing?
Also, I tend to take the temperature at a constant depth ( about 6ft in open unshaded water) Do you guys do the same?

Hi Jeff,

As a rule I wouldn't bother at anything below 6°C, anything lower and i'll fish for other species. Of course they will feed well below this but it's not for me. One of the most important aspects is the trend in the water temperature.

Barbel are more likely to feed in water temps rising from 5 to 6°C particularly if it's been 5°C for a good few days than they are in waters temps quickly falling from 8°C to 7°C. So monitor the trend before going out.

Others may disagree, and I quote the above temps regarding trend just as an example.

Thanks for your replies. Is there a reliable source where the river temperature is available?
I’m concentrating my efforts on the middle Severn but live in deepest Sussex ( about 200 Miles away) so it’s a little inconvenient as you can imagine.
I suppose watching the air temps, as well as the river levels , would be a good guide ?

There’s a nice bloke on here called ‘Sid’ who regularly records the Severn water temperature.

As has been said the general rule (today being an exception !) is that the river temp rises as fresh warm rain washes in.

One word of warning - make sure you get all your readings from one source. I have 3 thermometers and my mate has a couple and they ALL give different readings……If you stick to just one then the ‘trend’ data works.

There’s a nice bloke on here called ‘Sid’ who regularly records the Severn water temperature.

As has been said the general rule (today being an exception !) is that the river temp rises as fresh warm rain washes in.

One word of warning - make sure you get all your readings from one source. I have 3 thermometers and my mate has a couple and they ALL give different readings……If you stick to just one then the ‘trend’ data works.
That is extremely useful to me. 👍I see Sid has posted today and noted the drop in temperature.

Back