• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Water temperature thermometer for rivers

Hi all,
Can anyone reccomend a good water temperature thermometer
For rivers please?
Thanks in AdvancešŸ‘
Iā€™m not sure that it matters Adam. Most (electronic) thermometers will be accurate to within half a degree or so Iā€™m guessing. I think providing your methodology is consistent youā€™ll see a trend which I think is more important than the actual temperature. When I look at Sidā€™s (Severn) or Ianā€™s (Trent) readings I do look at the current temperature but then look to see how it compares with the previous reading to see the rise or fall.
I use a Rueben Heaton electronic and always ensure that the probe is at least two feet below the surface preferably three feet below if the bank is safe enough.

Adam,

I would say something like this would be sufficient. Doesn't need batteries, cheap, will withstand being thrown in a bag and should be good enough to give you a good idea of the current temp to about half a C. It can easily be attached to a chord with or without weight and lowered in.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/scales-and-gadgets/stillwater-stream-thermometer~18631.html

If you want something to watch whilst you are fishing then the electronic style with separate probe will show any fluctuations during your session which can be a help at times (like for instance the Rueben Heaton type, cheaper versions are also available šŸ‘)
The probe may need to be weighted in some way if you want it to record the temp on the bottom.

The majority of electronic thermometers will read (display) to tenths of a degree but will only be accurate to +/- 1 degree unless you spend Ā£Ā£Ā£s.
Whilst I own and have used the Rueben Heaton electronic thermometer I have found it to read consistently 1.2-1.4c high. Likewise can be said for others (Rueben Heatons) I have checked belonging to other anglers. Some were reading up to 4c higher compared to the 'actual' temperature. I hasten to add that my temp posts on BFW are not taken using the RH.

I would say to a degree (no pun intended) it doesn't matter what the actual temperature is but whether it's stable, rising or falling. You won't know this unless you are on the bank 24 hours a day or checking on a regular basis. Your 7 deg.C will be different to somebody elses 7 deg.C too.
I would also say that whilst I may have a reputation for posting temps on BFW I go fishing when I have the opportunity rather than when the thermometer says it's right. ;)

Hope that helps.
:cool:

I use an old glass thermometer encased in a metal frame (to protect it). This is attached to a length of heavy fishing line. Some people say that you need to take the temperature on the bottom as far out as possible. However, I take the view that rivers are constantly moving and mixing so the temperature should be pretty much the same wherever you decide to take it. My readings are only to the nearest half a degree but I don't need any batteries for my thermometer.

On the subject of temperature trends, whilst I agree that usually a warming river is better than a cooling one, I have had some great catches on cooling rivers provided that it is warm enough for barbel to feed. A fishing diary gives me lots of information for future prospects. Nowadays I don't often go fishing if I don't think I'm going to catch. During the cold snap in December I didn't fish for 4 weeks. Now I'm back to (at least) twice weekly!

Adam.

I use a 'cooking thermometer' with probe. The type you stick in meat to check the internal temperature of what's cooking. Length of metallic cord is about 2 feet. It does me for rivers and is a general guide to air and water temperature. Not that it matters as I'm already therešŸ‘. To correlate accuracy you can check the temperature of boiling water and to the other extreme range of ice cubed water.

Reuben Heaton mercury thermometer, accurate and can attach as much string as you want.

Back