• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Water/ air temps

Neil Lumby

A question for those who take water temp readings and base their fishing trips around them?
I’m talking about smaller rivers here, not the Trent, Thames or seven etc. with rising air temps incoming (double figure daytime) from tomorrow, how soon would you feel confident of the barbel getting on the move after the cold snap we’re coming out of?
This is just anglers opinions how long it would take for the water temp to rise for a good chance of a barbel. I understand in the “real world” the majority of us go when we get the chance, not when conditions dictate… what’s your thoughts

A question for those who take water temp readings and base their fishing trips around them?
I’m talking about smaller rivers here, not the Trent, Thames or seven etc. with rising air temps incoming (double figure daytime) from tomorrow, how soon would you feel confident of the barbel getting on the move after the cold snap we’re coming out of?
This is just anglers opinions how long it would take for the water temp to rise for a good chance of a barbel. I understand in the “real world” the majority of us go when we get the chance, not when conditions dictate… what’s your thoughts
Personally I think the important factor is a combination of barometric pressure and temp trend…over the next few days the trend will be lowering pressure and rising temps and wildlife will change their behaviours very quickly to reap the benefits. I don’t know how long it will take for the water temps to rise to register a reading on a thermometer but my guess is the fish will notice any changes very quickly, far sooner than we will. A millennia of evolution has enabled them to be a successful species without needing thermometers, and a successful hunter will probably know when is best to target their prey…..so just use your instinct and go when you feel it’s the right time! Although to be fair don’t listen to me I’m hardly angler of the year 😂

Given that fish seem even more aware (of environmental changes) than Alan P (above) suggests; they seems to be able to recognise weather/pressure changes etc almost before they happen. Viz - feeding just before a cold snap etc etc.

I spoke to my fishing mate 2 days ago and he is convinced that the fish will be very catchable round here for a short time, sometime early next week…..

Pity I’m busy until Thursday !

As far as when to go; we only fish when we think conditions are good. They are hard enough to catch when they are feeding; on the low stock venues we fish we reckon we have virtually no chance in average (or worse) conditions.

a great bit of advice I was once told many yrs ago from a bailiff on the Severn, but am sure it could apply to any river, was the rule of 10: if the combined day and night temps are 10c or more the barbel will feed and you shouldn’t struggle …if you add the two and it’s less than 10c take the Chub gear instead!

IMO. On the smaller rivers I fish (Kennet and Loddon)...........A water temperature of above 5 degrees and low pressure with an air temp of 7 or above, gives me most confidence.......However, having caught when water temps had dropped below 2, with snow water entering the river, we are always in with a shot.

a great bit of advice I was once told many yrs ago from a bailiff on the Severn, but am sure it could apply to any river, was the rule of 10: if the combined day and night temps are 10c or more the barbel will feed and you shouldn’t struggle …if you add the two and it’s less than 10c take the Chub gear instead!
So if its minus 6c at night and plus 8c in the day where does that leave you ? I used to take water temps but gave up as at best they are only a vague indicator . For example last night here in york the air temp was + 5c , daytime temp now is +8c ,combined figure of 13c , fill yer boots !? Just been down to the Yorkshire ouse now , river has risen 8ft overnight water temperature is a chilly +4c a temperature which many would say is not conducive to Barbel feeding .I reckon the cold water temperature is largely down to very cold snow/ice melt from the ouse catchment area . So I reckon the rule of 10 is not perhaps a reliable indicator .The only indicator that I have some faith in is sudden massive drops in air pressure with corresponding high winds , these conditions will see me on the river after the Barbel as often , but not always , the barbel will go crackers in these conditions , presuming of course that the river is not too high as to make it impossible to fish

Generally if I want to go fishing I’ll go no matter the water temperature. Only exception really is if there’s a load of snow melt recently entered the water along with all the road salt. My general rule though is if the air temp is 3 degrees or less when I get there and only going to get colder then I won’t go as I just get cold as soon as I get there and have no chance of warming up.

I think increasing day length can override temperature. Definitely true with Carp ( I know) but, though I'm not particularly experienced in back end Barbel fishing, certainly the last few weeks of the season you stand a good chance in surprisingly low temperatures.

Back