• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wasing-Guiding Available?

Howard Cooke

Have just joined Wasing and am looking forward to exploring the various beats on offer. However, being a fisherman with very modest ability I could really do with some expert help-particularly given I have quite limited fishing time available and find the prospect of fishing a new stretch of water daunting as well as exciting. Does anyone know of a guide with specific knowledge of the Wasing beats who could provide swim/watercraft plus general barbel fishing tips/advice ? I was thinking of a day/half day and of course for an appropriate fee. Whilst writing this, it struck me that I will need to check if this is even allowed under the Wasing rules and perhaps it is only the bailifs who can perform this role. Thoughts/observations most welcome.

Don't pay out for a guide, find out when Martin James is down there and he'll tell you everything you need to know as he's fished it for years. Don't believe the regulars when they tell you that you won't catch on pellet either ;)

Hi men,

Guiding is not aloud on Wasing , but Martin does do days where you make a contribution to charity , and he takes nothing , worth a thought .

Hatter

Hi Howard, No guiding allowed on the Wasing, I am a member and go down there 2 to 3 times a week and be willing to show you round and show you some hot swims for free, Helped Mark Hatter and the lovely Mrs Hatter when they joined and showed them my hidden hot spot.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Thanks for the comments chaps. Ray- that's very kind and I may very well take you up on the offer as soon as I can secure some time to get down to the river.

Hi men,

If they changed their stance on taking our little fellow with us , we would rejoin. Used to enjoy chatting to Ray , talked about football as much as fishing !.

Hatter

Hi men,

Howard , there are no secret swims really . The first season we fished it , starting from the weir , down to rowbarge pub we caught from 23 different swims , and made some swims ourself . We showed a good friend a swim we caught a lot of fish from , showed him where we had seen a 13lb ish fish in clear water ( never got to catch it ) , and in all the years he had been a member he did not know you could fish that area !!!:D. We showed him 3 of our tight home made swims !!!, places he had never seen . We caught around 100 fish that first season to 12lb , loved our time on there . Pellet works , and spicy sausage meat when it colours up .

It would be usefull if you met Ray , he would get you going in the right direction .

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men,

Howard , there are no secret swims really . The first season we fished it , starting from the weir , down to rowbarge pub we caught from 23 different swims , and made some swims ourself . We showed a good friend a swim we caught a lot of fish from , showed him where we had seen a 13lb ish fish in clear water ( never got to catch it ) , and in all the years he had been a member he did not know you could fish that area !!!:D. We showed him 3 of our tight home made swims !!!, places he had never seen . We caught around 100 fish that first season to 12lb , loved our time on there . Pellet works , and spicy sausage meat when it colours up .

It would be usefull if you met Ray , he would get you going in the right direction .

Hatter

Many thanks Mark, most kind. Part of the fun of course is exploring a new river and its swims and I will certianly be doing some of that. Finding the time is the difficult bit I find, and so I am hugely grateful for the offers of help in getting me started. Randomly, I was speaking to Paul Smyth (who many of you may know) who is a bailiff on Wasing and he has also offered to show me around. Again-very grateful for the help. Cheers.

It's a beautiful place Howard, you'll fall in love with it. You'll also enjoy just exploring, trying every swim that takes your fancy. There's such a diverse mixture of swims and there's a chance of a fish almost around every corner.

The Rowbarge bit, was that "the Dalston AS" stretch 40 years back?
if it was there was a cracking barbel swim that always produced above average weight barbel from it, looked no different from the rest of bank but
had a chalk bed running across the river and in those days was around 6ft deep in the edge, oh those memories of a onece little used and overgrown stretch:)

Wasing

I was a member on there for about 3 years and I have to say it is the nicest bit of water I have ever fished. Very few people on in those days, you could just wander for miles dropping into swim after swim. Caught fish from dozens of different swims. Did really well on pellet and gentleman's relish paste (anchovy and spices). Even had rununculus beds back then. The memories are flooding back !

Nick C

Back