• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Washing Your Net

Ian Sewter

Senior Member & Supporter
Although barbel have relatively little slime some can remain in the landing net plus we do often catch slimy bream and the Spring anglers among us catch slimy tench so how do you clean your nets and unhooking mats from smell and slime? I use hot water plus laundry powder and a squirt of some lemon cleaner in a bucket. Soak then agitate and rinse. For the mat use the same bucket water and a brush but sometimes I have a problem because stubborn slime can remain. How do you clean yours?

Although barbel have relatively little slime some can remain in the landing net plus we do often catch slimy bream and the Spring anglers among us catch slimy tench so how do you clean your nets and unhooking mats from smell and slime? I use hot water plus laundry powder and a squirt of some lemon cleaner in a bucket. Soak then agitate and rinse. For the mat use the same bucket water and a brush but sometimes I have a problem because stubborn slime can remain. How do you clean yours?
Don’t think I’ve ever washed my mat or net…..just tend to hang them in the garden or greenhouse to totally dry off.
I know what you mean about the smell but I just take it as a reminder I do occasionally catch something 😂

little pressure washer and fairly regular
Both Net and Mat.
if I’m using between different waters it definitely gets a clean out.
It’s a good habit to get into because they can hold bacteria’s

When after Tench if nets and mat are still wet if I’ve caught I hose them off and dry in the garden. One or two ideas posted here sound good 👍

little pressure washer and fairly regular
Both Net and Mat.
if I’m using between different waters it definitely gets a clean out.
It’s a good habit to get into because they can hold bacteria’s
If I'm moving between different still waters (which is rare these days) then I just use different nets, mats and weigh slings.

If your a winter piker like me you should be regularly cleaning your cool pouches and boxes out. Those things are a breeding ground for all sorts of nastys after your dead’s have been in them.

If you want to clean stuff really properly, get hold of some Virkon disinfectant.

Available in small sachets from some vets.

I fish in Iceland irregularly and they demand all tackle is disinfected before you go and you have to have paperwork to prove it. Or they do it when you arrive. Lucky I have a Vet as a next door neighbour.

If you want to clean stuff really properly, get hold of some Virkon disinfectant.

Available in small sachets from some vets.

I fish in Iceland irregularly and they demand all tackle is disinfected before you go and you have to have paperwork to prove it. Or they do it when you arrive. Lucky I have a Vet as a next door neighbour.
Cor Virkon, took me back to work that did and I’m sure it’s made @Alan Palmer prick his ears up 🤣

Indeed….I do tend to clean my dead bait bags like Richard and for that I use Trigene courtesy of work (remember Trigene Bill?)
One of the many names I remember Alan but being involved with autoclaves not a product I ever used. 👍

Back