• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

warwickshire avon/stour

hi,do any members remember fishing the river stour/avon at milcote nr.stratford on avon when it was B.A.A.water back around the 1990's.I remember fishing at bridgenorth and a couple of pike anglers said they travelled all the way down there so it must of been good,thanks.

Yes. I fished it around that time. It was very good, some good chub and roach fishing. We had a match there in '90 on the main river, and I remember my dad having two barbel on the stick float. They were also in the Stour itself, I saw one in very clear water the one day, a good fish at the time.

No idea what it's like almost 30 years later.

Thanks for that john,i know there is alot of water not even fished so it gets the mind thinking what could be in there. How big roughly were your dad's because to have 2 there must be a fair amount or was, as you know even areas where we know there are barbel does not mean a catch. It's probably my age but i'm thinking if those barbel were say 3lb and they put on 1lb of weight a year that would make them about 33lb now, i've enjoyed seeing your catches from the severn lately,cheers.

Thanks for that john,i know there is alot of water not even fished so it gets the mind thinking what could be in there. How big roughly were your dad's because to have 2 there must be a fair amount or was, as you know even areas where we know there are barbel does not mean a catch. It's probably my age but i'm thinking if those barbel were say 3lb and they put on 1lb of weight a year that would make them about 33lb now, i've enjoyed seeing your catches from the severn lately,cheers.

I don't think they were big fish that dad had that day, perhaps 3lb each. He wasn't far down from the mouth of the Stour that day, he was the only angler to have a barbel. The river was at normal level, and he caught them on maggot. I'd guess that any barbel there then, or indeed now, would move up into the Stour to spawn. It was a long walk from the farm down to the confluence if I remember rightly!

There are several weirs on the stour which probably stops them spreading too far upstream,i live about 7 miles from there and we dont get any this far up but with the stour being small when it floods the weirs could be bypassed maybe. I remember the long walk and i'm sure 30 years on it would seem twice as far now!

About 10 years ago you could by day tickets from the farm by the mouth of the Stour, not sure now but I'm sure someone could help. Used to catch plenty on the float with best chub about 31/2 pounds. Lovely river, worth a go if you like small river fishing. Obviously there will be Barbel in the lower reaches where it joins the Avon.
Regards,
G.T.

Hi Andy,
If you ask this question on the main Warwickshire Avon 'river' website I am sure that you will get more information. Caught plenty of Zander and pike at 'mouth' of the Stour where it meets the Avon.
Regards,
G.T.

Back