• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Warks Avon advise please?

Jon Kennard

Evening all I wanted to ask a bit of friendly advise please about guiding the warks Avon. I'm not expecting any hidden secrets etc.
I'm finally getting my arse back on the rivers after 2 years absence from the wye! I'm based in North Devon so have to travel. Anyway end of next week and the weekend I've got 2 days fishing originally was thinking x2 on the wye however fancy an warks Avon day. Used to fish as a kid above tewks but for bream and roach. Essentially looking at day ticket on manor farm leisure stretch. My questions therefore is it worth a good go with the float in order to get bites and a few fish in the net with an outside chance of a decent chub and maybe appearance of a barbel? I read the initial stretch before the weir is shallower. Or best to approach the deeper slower water with feeder and lead etc?
If float fishing i would look to hemp maggots and casters introducing the odd bit of meat.
Thanks in advance you very helpful lot Jon

Hi Jon,
The Avon like most Rivers at the moment is in flood or close too, and more rain forecast its going nowhere.
Finding feeding barbel at the best of times on the Avon at the best of times is no easy matter.....but Chub are still fairly prolific.
Manor Farm will I guess be much the same as any other stretch this time of year, because the weir factor will be negated, its a good summer venue. However I have had bigger barbel in March so given the river will be fishable you never know. BAA don't do DTs anymore, so that's a problem, I have a nice bit of the Avon that do a DT I could fix and is probably the bit I would fish. It has good parking and level terrain, within a town.....
PM if you want.

Thanks Neil, obviously no regular but was optimistic with this week's coming forecast saving tomorrow its looks dry daily and I was hopeful the rivers would drop a fair bit in a weeks time. I'll message you thank you j

Back