• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted Shimano x-aero 4000fa

If you’ve got your heart set on one, then fair play, crack on and good luck in your search.

If you’ve not owned one before, do a bit of reading up on them first (there’s quite a bit of info on here).

@Richard Isaacs will be able to give you more info than I can regarding the gubbings inside, workings, spec etc. I think on the whole, they’re well put together and great looking reels.

But they do suffer from a bit of a design flaw with the 1mm-ish gap under the spool that the line often gets under.

It never seemed to happen to me. I feather my casts, which I think helps. Then after a couple of years of ownership (with appropriate servicing and keeping them looked after), it just started happening more and more frequently. No changes to mainline brand/BS, technique or anything else. So I’ve switched them on to the tench rods, I assume it’ll still happen on them, but they’ll get fewer outings.

I got a Shimmy OC Baitrunner which I use for a light sea outfit and whilst I haven’t used it on a Barbel set up, they’re great reels. I think they’re probably the best in their price bracket for Barbel. You’ll pay £50-£60 more (and some, possibly) for a second hand X-aero, so worth considering.

As above, I had the 2500 FA version. The design flaw meant I ended up selling them, for the price I expected a lot better!

I've got one 4000 feeder (non baitrunner) I use for float fishing for barbel, great reel, never had any problems with the line going under the spool and lets be honest you cast/re-cast al lot more float fishing than legering. Also got a couple fo 6000 bait runners which are very good, again no problems so far. I think every fixed spool reel I've ever owned has suffered from the line going behind the spool occasionally and for me the x-aeros are no better/worse. But each to their own !

If you’ve got your heart set on one, then fair play, crack on and good luck in your search.

If you’ve not owned one before, do a bit of reading up on them first (there’s quite a bit of info on here).

@Richard Isaacs will be able to give you more info than I can regarding the gubbings inside, workings, spec etc. I think on the whole, they’re well put together and great looking reels.

But they do suffer from a bit of a design flaw with the 1mm-ish gap under the spool that the line often gets under.

It never seemed to happen to me. I feather my casts, which I think helps. Then after a couple of years of ownership (with appropriate servicing and keeping them looked after), it just started happening more and more frequently. No changes to mainline brand/BS, technique or anything else. So I’ve switched them on to the tench rods, I assume it’ll still happen on them, but they’ll get fewer outings.

I got a Shimmy OC Baitrunner which I use for a light sea outfit and whilst I haven’t used it on a Barbel set up, they’re great reels. I think they’re probably the best in their price bracket for Barbel. You’ll pay £50-£60 more (and some, possibly) for a second hand X-aero, so worth considering.
line going under spool nearly cost me a fish once had to hand line it in luckily it was only 6-7lb .. they were up for sale next day

Good enough for Alan Scotthorne to still use them.

Good enough for Alan Scotthorne to still use them.

Great reels but these are not the x aero with bait runner.

Back