• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted: Shimano X Aero 2500 FA baitrunner

I had one. Bought it on here and moved it on shortly after. Had quite a lot of bother with line getting under the spool skirt.
That doesn't sound good - I've an older DL 400 FA and had no such issues with that version - problems arising possibly a result of the redesign on the x -Aero?
I notice too that Shimano have just re-launched the x-Aero as the 4000 FB model.

That doesn't sound good - I've an older DL 400 FA and had no such issues with that version - problems arising possibly a result of the redesign on the x -Aero?
I notice too that Shimano have just re-launched the x-Aero as the 4000 FB model.
Imo the DL FA is a better reel.
The spool skirt on the DL is much lower and doesn’t need a line guard to prevent tangles where as the x aero has a non existent skirt and a line guard that simply doesn’t work unless you are chucking over head and feathering down. It didn’t suit my type of fishing at all and I had to move it on before it cost me dearly

my relations selling these on eBay Shimano Aero Feeder FA 4000 x 2.

Purchased off here (used) for £125 each after reading good reviews and intending that they would be used on 9ft stalking rods, but they are rather smaller than I thought and very much a match/feeder reel.

I did load them up with 8lb Guru line to use on the river, but I prefer a pin for the odd time I’m out fishing like that and I’ve not gotten around to using them. From loading them I would suggest they need a service.

I purchased a pair of single handles to go with these from Felindres which are included as are the line reducers - the smaller ones are on the loaded spools and the larger ones are shown in the pics.

Thanks for the all the responses; with these in mind
I've just taken punt on a DL2500 FA which had popped up on eBay a short while ago. Looks in pretty good condition but can't always tell with eBay.

Now you tell me!

I sourced a Daiwa GS 3000 for a friend (dealer wouldn't post to IOW for some reason) and he loves it and has been through some pretty impressive reels in his time. Uses it for all kinds of fishing and it performs admirably. No idea why Daiwa shipped them out at £49.99 or similar. Anyway, I was unaware the new GS was available in a baitrunner form until i saw the advert for the 5000's on sale here. A few things to note from my perspective;

- that handle ~ aesthetically jarring; the gold spool is one thing but combined with the wooden handle knob, yikes. In all seriousness, if it had the lovely Daiwa 'T' handle that would be very nice

- I've seen some negative comments re the LT models of Daiwa reels? Anyone else read/heard similar?

- spare spool prices; haven't checked these yet.

However, if it is a small size and given it is well recommended here, I may well take a punt on the 3000 size. Thanks for all the input; just waiting for the DL2500FA to arrive and will take it from there

Now you tell me!

I sourced a Daiwa GS 3000 for a friend (dealer wouldn't post to IOW for some reason) and he loves it and has been through some pretty impressive reels in his time. Uses it for all kinds of fishing and it performs admirably. No idea why Daiwa shipped them out at £49.99 or similar. Anyway, I was unaware the new GS was available in a baitrunner form until i saw the advert for the 5000's on sale here. A few things to note from my perspective;

- that handle ~ aesthetically jarring; the gold spool is one thing but combined with the wooden handle knob, yikes. In all seriousness, if it had the lovely Daiwa 'T' handle that would be very nice

- I've seen some negative comments re the LT models of Daiwa reels? Anyone else read/heard similar?

- spare spool prices; haven't checked these yet.

However, if it is a small size and given it is well recommended here, I may well take a punt on the 3000 size. Thanks for all the input; just waiting for the DL2500FA to arrive and will take it from there
Hi
If you decide differently I have 2 x X-Aero 2500 Baitrunners that have never left the house since purchase. In the box with spare spool and all the bits as new.
Can do £100 including 1st class guaranteed delivery for each one if interested.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 131
Blimey, these reels are like buses, don't see for one for ages ..etc.

Thanks very much Mark and will keep you posted ~ unless Pete buys them both.

Hope I was,nt stepping on your toes Roy I assumed you had chosen another reel from eBay ....Have been looking to buy an x aero 2500 for a while and Marks offer was an offer I couldn't refuse so had to get in quick

Hello Pete ~ absolutely not. I just wanted to try a smaller 2500 baitrunner for a specific purpose. However, some people have reported issues with line behind the spool (on maggotdrowners forum too ) on the x-Aero and Richard's comments made me a little cautious. The DL 2500 FA seemed a cheaper way to do it . Two I'd been watching sold on ebay at the same time and so that flushed out another couple of sellers, so I got one for £55.50 inlc postage and an excellent reel bag so went for it. They don't feel as 'precise' as the X-Aero but it will serve its' purpose for me .

Enjoy the x -Aeros.
Roy

Hi roy ...had the 4000 x aeros for a good few years now and have had the odd issue with line behind the spool and only seems to happen when reels are overspooled with line or if its blowing a gale ...hopefully no more of an issue on the 2500s
enjoy your new reels too
Pete

Back