• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted. Rod repairs

I have an old diawa porky pig. Passed down and would love to use it but the cork handle is worse for wear. If anyone knows if this could be replaced. It would be much appreciated. Thanks

I have an old diawa porky pig. Passed down and would love to use it but the cork handle is worse for wear. If anyone knows if this could be replaced. It would be much appreciated. Thanks
There’s definitely something that can be done but pictures showing the damage would help. Replacing the whole handle is expensive as cork is pricey. If it’s right on the back end you can do a partial replacement and blend it back in with abrasives.
You can do local repairs by cutting the bad sections out and replacing them by gluing in half cork rings and again blending in afterwards or if it just small chunks missing you can fill them with a cork dust/glue solution and rub down to blend.

Put some pictures of the damage up as that will make it easier to make suggestions

I dont actually think it’s that bad. The reel is holding strong so should be good. I’d just like to get it back to mint condition. Some of the varnish over the whipping is slightly wearing too but still solid

Attachments

• IMG_6135.jpeg
    IMG_6135.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6137.jpeg
    IMG_6137.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 101
Find a good local rod builder to you and have the handle replaced , the advantage been you can have it done exactly how you want it. Not a big job for a professional.

Find a good local rod builder to you and have the handle replaced , the advantage been you can have it done exactly how you want it. Not a big job for a professional.
It’s not a big job your right but I can’t imagine they’ll be much change out of £100 for a full handle. If it was mine I’d start off by spinning it up and running over it with an abrasive to see if it tidies it up enough. Maybe take half a milly off the diameter and see what it’s like

I’d prefer to get it done properly as it’s been handed down to me and then I can keep it going for years to come
I put a post up here About a builder John Hennessy he would look at it and is very good with cork :)

Have you tried your local tackle shop Aron? Quite a few of the older established ones have someone working there who can do basic repairs, whipping etc. Always worth a shot

There was a very good rod builder based at Fosters, now Angling Direct, Kingstanding, called Bob (Don't know his surname) it may be worth checking if he's still there
Bob is days away from retirement and moving to the south West. I very much doubt he'd be able to take on a new piece of work. You could call him to check 01212708366.

Bob the Rod is now officially semi-retired! (retired from all rod building stuff) Not taking any more work even minor stuff - gutted as he has done loads of bits for me in the past . . not sure where to go now in the Midlands

Saying that I did have some cork handled rods that I put fuji reel seats on - these were done by Lanes of Coventry; it was a pretty simple job though as the only cork replacement was above the reel seat - give them a bell

Back