• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted - Harrison Torrix

Looking for a Torrix 11’ 1.75tc in excellent condition. Please let me know if you are selling.
Thanks
Angling Direct recently absorbed Fosters of Birmingham into their group Along with the business they retained the services of 'Bob 'the Rod' who I believe still builds bespoke rods,, and his Torrix builds are of course excellent, but not a wallet busting price. Worth checking?

Mark tunley as got a 11ft 1.75lb torrix on his website it’s all built and ready to go you can see pics of it on there aswell
It’s been there ages, looks stunning but I think the full Eva handle is putting most people off. I’d of bought it had it been cork at that price

Thanks for the responses 👍..much appreciated.
I did look at the Torrix on Marks site and as you say Richard the handle put me off.
Great rod builder though so might have to get a quote for a new one , and contact Angling Direct.

Bob will be cheaper than mark well he has been for me on my 2 Harrison float rods he built me and it was mr harrison who recommended bob to me

It’s been there ages, looks stunning but I think the full Eva handle is putting most people off. I’d of bought it had it been cork at that price

I've got a few rods with a full Eva handle and I find them ok. Cork my first choice, but I don't think there is that much in it. Eva a good choice for stalker rod or for the carp angler that does a bit of guesting!

Not for me at all.
I personally can’t stand them. They don’t feel right, they don’t look right, they have a memory like an elephant and hold onto dents and knocks forever. They also look dirty really quickly. You can’t refresh them or carry out a sensible repair with them. Like you can with cork.
cork all the way for me.
im ok with Japanese shrink tube on small areas on cork where it’s prone to damaging or dirt as I’ve done this to rods myself but I’d never have an eva handle again personally.

EVA offers a easier and cheaper option on a rod handle. Comparing the medium quality cork and EVA costs works out about 4 to 1. The work involved to create a cork handle is far greater-even if you use preformed cork cylinders for building.

EVA offers a easier and cheaper option on a rod handle. Comparing the medium quality cork and EVA costs works out about 4 to 1. The work involved to create a cork handle is far greater-even if you use preformed cork cylinders for building.
It wouldn’t matter to me. The costs around a quality cork handle are for me, worth paying a premium for

Bobs right , fitting a full cork handle particularly with individual cork shives is very time consuming , I recently did the whole butt on a Allcocks cane carp rod which has a ridiculously long handle , hours of sanding and filing , dull.dull, dull, and expensive ......

I guess it’s just aesthetics, the rod will function perfectly well.

How often do we hold a rod unless rolling/trundling etc..and taking into account my catch returns last season, not that often.

Doesn't worry me really, I have Drennan Powers and a few all EVA's, whilst I am a bit err fussy about appearance, I wipe my EVA handles with Black stuff that is used on car plastics , bumpers etc occasionally. EVA is sustainable and is a good product that is harmless to the environment.

I'd never consider EVA for a custom rod and would specify cork every time. However I've recently acquired a couple of spinning rods with EVA handles. They're ok.
Would specify it for a sea fishing boat rod. It's ok stuff.

Back