• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted Free Spirit Hi S Power Float 15ft

Tony Bull

Hi has anyone got one of these rods

Free Spirit Hi S Power Float 15ft​

they would be willing to sell ?

please meassage me if you have .......
Thanks in advance
&
Happy New Year to all on BFW

Good luck Tony
I have it on good authority that free spirit will never make these blanks as complete rods again due to the costs of this particular carbon fibre and spare tip sections for those that have an accident will be available but probably thin on the ground.
I have literally not long since found one and ordered it myself but it was no easy task. You need to contact a rod builder that had them available to be custom built as they may still have a blank kicking about. It won’t be cheap but it’s the only way I can see you getting lucky.

Mark Tunley, Vic Gibson would be my first call if I was you. I would say Roger Hurst as well but I know he doesn’t have any left as I literally ordered his very last one before Xmas.

Second hand is going to be a long waiting game for these. They are such great rods for dedicated barbel trotting, I don’t believe there is much else out there in 15ft format as capable when it comes to a dedicated barbel float rod for double figured fish. People probably won’t let these go and if they do they’ll be gone in a flash.

If you were able to go 14ft you’d be in with a lot more options. I can tell you the Daiwa spectron 14ft xp in any of the 3 versions they were available (M, M2 and competition) can do everything the Hi S can do and is definitely equal on quality to that rod as well. I have 1 and it’s definitely got the power to bank doubles despite being a proper float rod that you can comfortably hold for extended periods.

I took my m2 to the middle Trent last summer for a short session into the evening and at 1 point it was literally a barbel a Chuck and the rod was nothing less than sensational. I’ll be doing the same with the 15ft next season.

Tackle box is saying they will be back in stock end of February maybe worth a try Tony good luck mate

Attachments

• 685AD65C-FEFE-469E-BFD1-FF85A457E713.png
    685AD65C-FEFE-469E-BFD1-FF85A457E713.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 78
I was looking for this rod for a long time and unlucky to find one yet.
I picked a 15ft Daiwa Tournament pro match BU when it was on sale, the rod has 10lb line rating so I believe it should be able o handle barbel in good size.

I picked a 15ft Daiwa Tournament pro match BU when it was on sale, the rod has 10lb line rating so I believe it should be able o handle barbel in good size.
Have you tried the daiwa yet Huanzhou? I was really thinking about getting one of these for a while. Are they tippy like the spectrons?

Good luck Tony
I have it on good authority that free spirit will never make these blanks as complete rods again due to the costs of this particular carbon fibre and spare tip sections for those that have an accident will be available but probably thin on the ground.
I have literally not long since found one and ordered it myself but it was no easy task. You need to contact a rod builder that had them available to be custom built as they may still have a blank kicking about. It won’t be cheap but it’s the only way I can see you getting lucky.

Mark Tunley, Vic Gibson would be my first call if I was you. I would say Roger Hurst as well but I know he doesn’t have any left as I literally ordered his very last one before Xmas.

Second hand is going to be a long waiting game for these. They are such great rods for dedicated barbel trotting, I don’t believe there is much else out there in 15ft format as capable when it comes to a dedicated barbel float rod for double figured fish. People probably won’t let these go and if they do they’ll be gone in a flash.

If you were able to go 14ft you’d be in with a lot more options. I can tell you the Daiwa spectron 14ft xp in any of the 3 versions they were available (M, M2 and competition) can do everything the Hi S can do and is definitely equal on quality to that rod as well. I have 1 and it’s definitely got the power to bank doubles despite being a proper float rod that you can comfortably hold for extended periods.

I took my m2 to the middle Trent last summer for a short session into the evening and at 1 point it was literally a barbel a Chuck and the rod was nothing less than sensational. I’ll be doing the same with the 15ft next season.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Richard
I’ll be doing some homework you’ve given me a lot to think about 😂

Interesting I’ll look into it
Many thanks

Have you tried the daiwa yet Huanzhou? I was really thinking about getting one of these for a while. Are they tippy like the spectrons?
Haven't used it yet due to the flood, but I can tell it has a fast tip, not sure it as tippy as spectrons, but good enough for river trotting.
PS, the guy called Avon angler on YouTube also uses this rod trotting for barbel on wye, you can have a look of how this rod behaves.

Haven't used it yet due to the flood, but I can tell it has a fast tip, not sure it as tippy as spectrons, but good enough for river trotting.
PS, the guy called Avon angler on YouTube also uses this rod trotting for barbel on wye, you can have a look of how this rod behaves.
I’ve seen his videos I thought it was a 14 footer he used.
Definitely up to the job then as he doesn’t struggle to land em in them fast glides

He was using a 14 foot cadence rod last year, and switch to the 15ft daiwa this year.
He really rates that rod with the little mk2 abu.
I’m very very fond of daiwa float rods especially the guides they use on the top end stuff. Them fujis are just awesome for line paying through. Better than other guides I’ve used by a mile

I’m hoping the ones on the Hi s are decent aswell. Free spirit do tend to fit average stuff to brilliant blanks

Daiwa make a lot of guru top end rods n reels. I think the 15ft aventus is the same rod you have and the aventus reel is a daiwa TDX
I’ve heard very very good things about the guru aventus rods made by daiwa

He really rates that rod with the little mk2 abu.
I’m very very fond of daiwa float rods especially the guides they use on the top end stuff. Them fujis are just awesome for line paying through. Better than other guides I’ve used by a mile

I’m hoping the ones on the Hi s are decent aswell. Free spirit do tend to fit average stuff to brilliant blanks
Yes, the fitting is one of the best I’ve seen. Even the EVA handle doesn’t feel bad.

I always want a free spirit hi s float build to my spec, but unfortunately, can’t source the blank.

I like guru staff, and I believe you are right about their top end rod and reel. But out of my budget range.

🙄exactly
I’ve heard it from Roger hurst himself that this particular rod will not be made again.
As the uk builder/supplier of free spirits hi s and s rods he’s probably going to know this for sure.

Daiwa make a lot of guru top end rods n reels. I think the 15ft aventus is the same rod you have and the aventus reel is a daiwa TDX
I’ve heard very very good things about the guru aventus rods made by daiwa
At one time2 years ago I had the tourney pro float 12' and a feeder 10/11. I also bought the same in the gurus. In my humble opinion the aventus was far superior!Bteer build quality too. I also has at the same time a pro ags air 10/11 and again took the gurus in preference.

Back