• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted - Dave Lumb pike rods (longshot)

Oliver Harfield

Before I order new and lose November / December fishing time I thought I’d see if anyone has a nice set of Dave Lumb pike rods.

Preferably 12ft 2.75 - 3lb

Or 11ft 3lb

Longshot I know!

It’s worth ringing Dave. He can get his predator blanks delivered fairly quickly if they are not already in stock. P1’s are amazing rods and super popular so there’s a good chance he’ll have a set in or on order.

Another worth a try would be Tony Kay. He does pike rods on the same blanks and he offers free spirit builds too. He also might have the p1 or p5 in stock.

I did call Dave last week, he said about three weeks for P1s but I’d want Fuji SIC if I was having a custom build and he may have to order them in.

Tempted by the X1s too.

I did call Dave last week, he said about three weeks for P1s but I’d want Fuji SIC if I was having a custom build and he may have to order them in.

Tempted by the X1s too.
I went with the Fuji guides on my p2’s and you’ve answered your own question I think.

Buy them new and get them built how you want them.
Ps (unrelated) if your ever wanting to sell that second float rod, you know I’d always give you what it owes you for it. 👍🏻

Also great rods, I have a couple and a couple of P1's. If you're buying two I'd get one of each to cover different situations/distances etc. The X1 falls somewhere between the P1 and the BB but I've never handled one.

Treat yourself they're worth the wait.
Sound advice
On larger waters I fish X1s and baitblasters so I have options on distance / size of bait I can cast
Smaller waters / rivers P1s
X1s are exactly what you would expect, perfect all rounder
BB350s took a bit of getting used to for me as you really have to load the blank
I’ve always got pretty standard builds of Lumby and never been disappointed

Agreed there. Dave apart from his Predator range also supplies the Chimera 3's and Torrixes. The Chimera 3's (2.25 lb TC - barbel rods) will handle most carp and pike that swim in British waters.
My point was that unfashionable rods are cheap - as in Chimera 2.75 and 3lb test (which make excellent pike rods). Chimera 2.5 lb test are also cheap (if you can find some) and make good heavy water barbel rods.

Chimera 3 (2.25) barbel rods are not cheap as they are still viewed as excellent ‘flood‘ rods and lots of people want them.

If it’s got a stiffish tip and progressive mid it will be spot on.
Too soft and you’ll struggle to set hooks properly. Too stiff and you’ll throw the bait from the hooks on the cast.

The old fox rods pike masters/predators/ were some of the best around and can be picked up well cheap in the summer months.

A couple of carp rods that make good pike rods, ime, are the 12' Torrix 3.25lb and the original ESP Terry Hearn 12'9" 3.25lb. The latter particularly good for drifter floats, as the extra length is handy. Both similar to Chimera's in that they actually bend and the tip isn't too fast.

Back