• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted. Chris Holley rod

Hi Dave, I’m after either mate, but the Chris holley rover if I remember. I used to fish with Chris and should of bought one years ago. I’ve tried to contact him over the last few years but to know avail

From memory there were two versions. The 'Rover' was based on the Harrison Avon 11 foot blank with a test curve of 1.6lb - the rods action, guides & handle length being aimed primarily at rolling baits. A stepped up version was then made available with a test curve of 1.10lb - cannot remember the name of this version. Both rods were sold by Graham at Davis Tackle - Chris was guiding on the Royalty at that time. The 'Rover' is my rod of choice for a couple of venues on the Yorkshire rivers - it's a real 'whopper-stopper' even in flood conditions! Might be worth contacting Davis Tackle as a lot were sold in the Avon & Stour catchments back in the 90's - the present owner may know a regular with one to pass on.

As I remember, the Torrix range was not in production during the 90's although I'm happy to be corrected on this. The stepped up version was, as I remember, called the 'Royalty Rover' and completed the original 'Rover' developed by Chris for rolling on the Ouse, Kennet and Hampshire Avon. Davis Tackle, under Graham's ownership, stocked both versions and also acted as a point of contact for people seeking guiding and instruction from Chris on the Royalty. I have the 'Rover', built on the tweaked Harrison Avon blank - mine is 23 years old this year and still as good as the day it was finished. Graham was a great person, who always had unusual and (at that time) niche equipment in the shop which was well developed and top quality. Bought my Whitlock nets there - beautifully made, painfully expensive but still in in top condition 25 years later. The Royalty at that period was quite a hotbed of innovation with both Chris and Ray Walton fishing, guiding and developing equipment - a really good friendly fishery with many happy memories.

As I remember, the Torrix range was not in production during the 90's although I'm happy to be corrected on this.
You are correct that the Torrix wasn't around in the 90's and came later. So apologies for any confusion. However, remember the later RP being based on 11' Torrix.
Cheers
Bob

Spot on Simon, the original Royalty Rover was a stepped up Harrison avon 1.6lb .Then I think Mark Tunley made some Chris Holley roving rods roughly 15 years ago based on the torrix blanks. I bumped in to Chris down there at that time and he was using one, they had a blingy reel seat !

I know they did an 11ft 1.5lb test , believe they did an 11ft 1.75lb test, and know they did a 12ft, 1.25lb test float under Chris's banner.

I have an 11 foot Royalty Rover which I use for mainly static fishing on the river Severn - pics as attached.

Decent rod to fish with.

Is this the rod you are talking about ?

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 436
I have an 11 foot Royalty Rover which I use for mainly static fishing on the river Severn - pics as attached.

Decent rod to fish with.

Is this the rod you are talking about ?

correct mate, that is the original rod, the more recent beefier rod was a torrix.
Don’t suppose you want to part?

Thanks for mentioning Chris Holley,I have the "Chris Holley Float Rover " rod 12' made by Mark Tunley. Haven't used it for a while but a great rod and very versatile. Completely forgot about it.
I must remember to try and use it once fishing is allowed again.

Most rod builders will build you a 1.75tc torrix to a light weight spec. I got Mark Tunley to build me one, shorter handle than others, single leg rings, white top foot, etc. Lovely rod for summer.

Back