• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted a warm water proof jacket thats water proof and warm !

Dean Aston

After getting soaked to the skin last night water proof jacket not so water proof. Had it a few years so time for a change I know I can re water proof it .Now looking for a water proof/warm jacket thats does that not in to silly camo please been looking at the Harkila stuff ( bit on the pricey side ) and seeland and hardy . I know this has been done 100s time before but who cares . Thanks in advance

Get a second hand Barbour
Yuppie types sell them as soon as the start to look a little worn so bargains to be had. Last forever, easy to repair and reproof, water proof, windproof and protect you from thorns, barbed wire and all the hassles of life on the river bank. 8oz Moorland if you can find one for winter.

If you are anywhere near Birmingham there is a stall on the rag market that regularly has decent Barbour jackets for £50 or thereabouts dependent on condition.

Also work well as camouflage in country towns as you will look like a local, gets you served quicker in pubs and people even talk in English when you are in shops in North and Mid Wales. There is a reason that farmers wear these rather than all the latest fashionable goretex stuff, they are not inclined to waste money and know what works. Avoid most other makes of wax cotton jackets as they are no where near as well made and give thanks to the vanity of posh people who sell perfectly good stuff they have paid a fortune for because it looks a little tatty.

Last edited:
I have a Seeland keeper jacket, comes in camo or green the fleeces and base layers are superb too

After my flrtation with camo - some years back now gone to plain green.
Have a Berghaus Cornice but found it a bit lacking on the pockets side - fine jacket and maybe they've changed things with the newer versions.
Have used Craghoppers stuff - both Aqua Dry Pro Coat and also a Craghoppers Ridge Jacket. Plenty of pockets and light in weight and generally cheaper than Berghaus.
No complaints on both.
Cheers
Bob

Dean have you tried ''Go Outdoors '' They have a extra 10% of till sunday
6th November , There is a store in Wolverhampton :)

Think a lot of us have been down this road before. Tackle companies get clothing made to a price they think the angler will pay, therefore they're compromised in some way.
Forget about warmth, you can put layers on underneath. A quality waterproof / windproof 3/4 length shooting jacket will do the job. It will cost you but last years if you take care of it.
Have a look at the John Norris website, spoilt for choice.

After spending years being disappointed by the lack in quality and durability of fishing tackle manufacturers clothing lines, I now get my stuff from outdoors shops.
Ask a tackle shop 'what's the hydrostatic head of that waterproof?' and you'll get a clearer picture of how waterproof it is and how long that might last.
Garments tested to a hydrostatic head of 10,000mm are considered waterproof, anything less and you shouldn't really consider it waterproof.

Regards

Damian

Aldi had some green coats in last week for £35. 5,000mm waterproofing, good zips and pockets and a decent zip-out fleece liner.

I have a Berghaus Cornice Goretex but don't wear it for fishing!!

They are superb coats and totally waterproof.

The beauty of them is you can decide which fleece you want to zip in from 4 different weights plus a sleeveless one so you can basically have a coat all year round, using just the shell for summer downpours.

Rivers West - quite new to the UK, just bought a set, has the soft feel of a fleece about it so comfy and quiet, comes in a couple of different "weights", they also do a bib n brace, 10 year waterproof guarantee and I believe a 5 year anti puncture guarantee and you can machine wash and tumble dry them! Well worth a look (Bushwear.co.uk have them on-line) I'm very happy with mine

Cheers,

Steven

Get a second hand Barbour
Yuppie types sell them as soon as the start to look a little worn so bargains to be had. Last forever, easy to repair and reproof, water proof, windproof and protect you from thorns, barbed wire and all the hassles of life on the river bank. 8oz Moorland if you can find one for winter.

Windproof is key and not all jackets are windproof! It doesn't matter how warm the jackets is on a still day, if the wind rips through it you'll get cold. So look out for jackets that say windproof.

My current jacket isn't windproof and I can feel the difference when there's a bitter wind, despite my otherwise warm layered approach. But the jacket is waterproof, tough and reasonably light so I'm sticking with it as a waterproof outer layer and looking for a decent windproof fleece to wear under the jacket but over my other layers.

Titan jacket and bib & brace for me. Originally designed for sea fishing, and seems to be much more durable/water proof than other brands of fishing waterproofs I've had in the past. They do them in a green olive colour if camo's not your thing!

Back