• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Want to give the float a try, could use some advice.

William Taylor

Hello,

I have had a really enjoyable start to barbel fishing on the middle Severn and I have been wanting to give float fishing/trotting a try.

Having never done or attempted it before, I really could use some advice about equipment needed and tactics.

I would like a rod that can handle barbel, yet is suitable for chub, roach, perch etc, other species that I will pick up along the way. Basically a bit of an all-rounder, if that's even possible. If anyone has any advice on the type of rod that I should be looking for, then that would be great. I don't want to break the bank if possible.

Also, if anyone has any advice on swims to look for, favourable conditions for the float, or anything else that could help me along the way, then that would be really helpful.

Cheers

Probably a bit late in the season to start float fishing for Barbel its usually best summer/autumn.If you know an area where they concentrate in the winter then that's where to go now.If you have a float rod then start off with that,if not then look for a power match/carp match/barbel/tench float rod.Match line to the rod and start by using around 8lb mainline(silstar/preston/drennan floatfish etc) to a 6lb hooklength.Use a big float(it makes everything easier if you are not used to float fishing) an Avon/loafer if the wind is upstream or a big chunky waggler if its downstream. Fish bulk shot 1/3 depth with a dropper shot just below half way to the hook.Fish around the depth of the swim but be prepared to vary depth.Bait drop on the line you are trotting.

a decent carp power float rod or a good tench rod will fit your bill unless your targetting barbel over 8lbs, mark has given you some advice on trotting for barbel but also a really good method is to find swim with both depth and if possible some creases or turbulent water with some boils, then get yourself a long waggler type float or ideally a large heavy porcupine quill to carry as much as 3 swanshots or more then find a suitable spot like a crease in the water or in depth under your feet and try laying on method, this can bring good results in conjunction with a good carpet of maggots or other bait laid down with a bait dropper, wait for a lift indication or a sail away take a lazy but effectivve float method for barbel, good luck and keep yerhands warm in winter

I don't do red pointy things myself ;), but the late Keith Speer wrote a good article that may help

clickety-click here

William, people will always have their favorite barbel float rod,myself if fishing for barbel then i use an old Drennan tench float rod or a preston sentient power float rod.In winter i catch a lot of barbel when fishing for roach on very light lines,using a very soft match rod,so rods really do not matter that much(and i give them a lot of stick).Its all down to playing them on balanced tackle and how you play them. Maggots or casters over bait droppered hemp with a smaller amount of hookbaits take some beating. Dropper about 1 pint of hemp/hookbait at the start so you give the fish an area to feed below. One good method is to fish a big waggler well over depth and drag a small piece of meat with the hook buried in the meat along the bottom,(it slows everything down)with the hook buried it tends to bounce along the bottom not catching up. Dave Harrell floats are the way to go if on the Seven,Thick/standard speci or no2 truncheon wagglers and alloy stem avons(top and bottom silicone sleeve) in larger sizes. Check out some of the dave harrell you tube videos, Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful.

Thats given me a good idea on how I should be approaching it. I will have a read though that article and see what else I can pick up.

Back