• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

wading boots

Paul Rhodes

can anyone help, just bought a pair of stocking foot waders, could anyone recomend a decent boot that is not going to cost me the earth?
any help would be appreciated
paul

All depends what area you live in. The Hardy/Greys platinum wading boot os felted and studded and first class, but dear, if you shop about you can get them cheapish....

Another vote for the Bison Bearclaw Boots....At 30 quid they are a steal...Take a look at the link in Jims posting and view the youtube bit showing the grip on ICE...a muddy bank has got to be easier !! ??.....It sold them to me after Jim showed this clip before...

I'm a big fan of the Bison wading boots, but not the bear claw ones, haven't tried those yet. I do a lot of wading for trout & grayling and the normal boots which are felt soles but come with studs should you wish to fit them are superb. I've had them for over 4 years now and I'm wading every weekend so they are used frequent. Bison definitely for cost and quality.

You definitely want studs if your on muddy banks as felt soles will just slip

I wish you lot would stop it. Just ordered a pair of bear claws to see how good they are. :D Just need some snow/ice now to try them. :cool:

Just use cheap trainers in summer and cheap walking boots in winter. Get vibram soled ones if you can. I got a decent new pair of boots, with vibram soles that have done the business for over a year now for £25.00 from e bay.

Much better when walking along lots of muddy banks than felt soles although not quite as good on rocky bottoms, but just as good as any of the fancy wading boots without felt soles. And rather better when it comes to walking several miles up Scottish hills to fish in locherns.

pete,

I was thinking along those lines, as you say, you can pick up some really cheap walking boots now, the bearclaws look good,but i was just looking for something a bit more robust around the ankles.
I thank everyone for there recommendations, keep them coming.

paul

These ones on Amazon look pretty good.
The Bearclaws look like they would be the business on rocky bottoms, but at my age I wouldn't want to be wearing them up and down the banks of the Teme! I like a bit more support.

Studded waders also make a lot of noise underwater, not a problem on larger rivers where you are away from the fish, or when trotting a float etc., but on small streams for trout can spook the fish.

Felt waders are already banned on some rivers and inevitably will be banned everywhere as the do spread diseases between river systems unfortunately, although no where near as dangerous as Kayaks for spreading disease.

Thanks again for the suggestions, ive got myself some karrimors with vibram soles for £40, i think they might suit my style of fishing and the venues i fish a little better, time will tell.

Have a good new year everyone

paul

Chris...I know your question was posed to Jim but please allow me to stick my oar in !!!

An emphatic yes, my normal shoe/boot size is a nine but following comms with Jim I bought a size ten and am glad I did....:D

Some waders will need two sizes bigger than usual, dependent on the thickness of the bootie. If you are buying "wading boots" these are sometimes sized for thick booties and sometimes not. Best to try on some boots to see.

My Wychwood waders require walking boots to be two sizes up from usual and have the footbeds removed when using walking boots or trainers. My pair of Orvis felt boots are one size up from my usual size and are a tight fit.

Walking around a shoe shop in full waders can be a little embarrassing, so find a mate with bigger feet than you and try his boots...this is what I did.

In regards to your question about shoe sizes,im a ten and i ended up getting a size twelve walking boot, luckily i had a old pair of neoprene socks that i could put on whilst i tried my boots on.
I did get some funny looks when i tried my boots on, god only knows what kind of looks you would get walking around the shoe shop in your chesties, unless you buy your boots from a country pursuits fetish shop.

My pair of Bear Claws arrived today. I ordered my normal shoe size, and they fit great with a thick pair of socks. They are very slippy on ceramic floor tiles ( if she who must be obeyed walks in now im in big trouble :D ) so im not sure how good they,d be on wet slippery rocks. They are quite comfy, and not too heavy. But, for £30 plus p&p, not bad. :)

Last edited:
Back