• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Visited the most private lake in the UK

Gavin Burt

Just got back from Buckingham Palace Garden Party yesterday and the lake there is beautiful.

Loads of water birds and in a stunning setting.

Attachments

• IMG_7377.jpeg
    IMG_7377.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_7388.jpeg
    IMG_7388.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7391.jpeg
    IMG_7391.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7402.jpeg
    IMG_7402.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7401.jpeg
    IMG_7401.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7403.jpeg
    IMG_7403.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7400.jpeg
    IMG_7400.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 189
Forgive my curiosity but why were you there? If you are related to the royal family then please forgive my impudence.😳
G.T.

Forgive my curiosity but why were you there? If you are related to the royal family then please forgive my impudence.😳
G.T.
It’s Lord Burt thank you very much 😂😂😂

My other half got nominated through work re Services to Education…not bad as she’s only 36.

We had a very formal letter drop through the post a few months ago re an invitation to the “Kings Garden Party”. We almost fainted on the floor when we read it !!!

Was a very, very cool day. Charlie, Camilla, Andrew, Sophie and Anne all in attendance and mingling. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

It’s Lord Burt thank you very much 😂😂😂

My other half got nominated through work re Services to Education…not bad as she’s only 36.

We had a very formal letter drop through the post a few months ago re an invitation to the “Kings Garden Party”. We almost fainted on the floor when we read it !!!

Was a very, very cool day. Charlie, Camilla, Andrew, Sophie and Anne all in attendance and mingling. Once in a lifetime opportunity.
Prince Andrew was there ..

Very cool to see the lake. Looks like an old school carp lake. Saw some massive roach in St James Park lake once. I bet there are some in the palace lake as well.

Some years ago a guy suggested "guesting" the lake at night especially as there was no gamekeeper. There was a problem however. It was not the razor wire on top of the wall but the armed police and soldiers with sub machine guns in the grounds that shot first and asked questions afterward!
Having spent many hours on guard duty there (in the 80s) I can assure you the soldiers magazines are empty. We were pretty handy with a bayonet though! 😅

I have a confession! Many years ago whilst patrolling the grounds following an activation of the alarms my very large, very aggressive German shepherd who had very obviously watched my Labrador retrieving pheasants decided to bring me a gift of a very recently killed, very large and still warm male flamingo. It had not had an easy death and to be honest made a hell of a row prior to succumbing. I buried it amongst the leaf piles left by the gardner and it remained a closely guarded secret between myself and my working partner. Years later I confided in the current Mrs Siddle who I’m not sure believed the tale until years later we were watching Bill Oddie do a program from within the grounds during which he remarked upon a sudden decline in the flamingos in the 1980’s. I’m guessing that my land shark had probably done the alpha male. I’ve often wondered why the MBE has never been delivered!

I have a confession! Many years ago whilst patrolling the grounds following an activation of the alarms my very large, very aggressive German shepherd who had very obviously watched my Labrador retrieving pheasants decided to bring me a gift of a very recently killed, very large and still warm male flamingo. It had not had an easy death and to be honest made a hell of a row prior to succumbing. I buried it amongst the leaf piles left by the gardner and it remained a closely guarded secret between myself and my working partner. Years later I confided in the current Mrs Siddle who I’m not sure believed the tale until years later we were watching Bill Oddie do a program from within the grounds during which he remarked upon a sudden decline in the flamingos in the 1980’s. I’m guessing that my land shark had probably done the alpha male. I’ve often wondered why the MBE has never been delivered!
Let’s hope HRH isn’t a member ok here !!!

Great story though, and I can confirm there were zero flamingos there.

It’s a beautiful place but can see why The Queen didn’t like it as there’s creed, building and traffic noise everywhere.

Back