• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Very cheap bite alarms at Sports Direct

centre pins built in alarm. that said did use them on a night session a few weeks ago very useful for drop backs so might use them again after dark but on the lowest setting with just the light as the real indicator.

Really, a 'pin with an alarm...? good God :eek:

The 'Bellends' ahh yes the Richard Walkers, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates, and even good old Issac managed without these hideous things. :rolleyes:
Ivan marks was one of my idols growing up, still own a rod with his name on it that I will never part with.And I had one of the first herons. Technology, what would we do without it....

Ivan marks was one of my idols growing up, still own a rod with his name on it that I will never part with.And I had one of the first herons. Technology, what would we do without it....

I too had an Ivan Marks float rod, :) long gone now though... but where would we be without technology?

Very good question, but as far as Angling is concerned does technology really improve the fishing experience? We do rather complicate things don't we with everything, from rigs to bait, of course the tackle manufacturers are not complaining, but I really enjoy just the simple ways of going about this fishing thing.
But I am an old 'fart. :rolleyes:

The 'Bellends' ahh yes the Richard Walkers, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates, and even good old Issac managed without these hideous things. :rolleyes:

LMAO. Really maybe you should do some research and find out just who made the first pre Heron alarms and who helped the design
A bit alarm is just a tool to indicate a bite get over yourself lol

LMAO. Really maybe you should do some research and find out just who made the first pre Heron alarms and who helped the design

Yes Gerry and a certain Mr Taylor also took advantage of his mates ingenuity ;)

Blimey you don't half fly off the handle.
I will concede some use the things on Ponds, but it's the Rivers that they have crept on to, that is an issue with some. I suppose DW would have bulked at the idea of using them on Rivers, fine for an alarm when dozing in a Bivvy, I suppose, but you can't beat the old wrap round, it's the very essence of what makes Barbel fishing what it is, you should try it :)

I will concede some use the things on Ponds, but it's the Rivers that they have crept on to, that is an issue with some. I suppose DW would have bulked at the idea of using them on Rivers, fine for an alarm when dozing in a Bivvy, I suppose, but you can't beat the old wrap round, it's the very essence of what makes Barbel fishing what it is, you should try it :)

Fishing is many different things to many different people. Imposing your way of doing what is right is kind of snobbish.

Some like to wear a floppy hat, some a baseball cap, live and let live and all that;)

do me a favour lol 55 years ago for about 3 years my index finger was my bite alarm when BARBEL fishing..........

time and tackle move on !!
for instance on Thursday lunchtime I drove the 2 and a half hours up Norf to the middle Trent and fished until I packed up at 1500 today when

I want to take a pee or cook a bacon butty my alarm will alert me to that bite
in all that time I had exactly 2 bites !
the first was a 6lb 4 ozs Chub and I was sitting watching the rod tips
the 2nd I had just poured out a cup of tea when the alarm screamed and a NEW PB 14lb.6ozs Barbel I love my bite alarms

you carry on with your wicker basket and tank aerial rod make out your some kind of snobby purist ......Me Ive moved on got rid of all that years ago ((big smile ))

I sometimes carry my Delkim alarm in my wicker fishing basket , I also have a split cane bank stick in to which I screw said alarm . Which world do I live in ? Am I some sort of angling inbetweener ? Please help ...

I sometimes carry my Delkim alarm in my wicker fishing basket , I also have a split cane bank stick in to which I screw said alarm . Which world do I live in ? Am I some sort of angling inbetweener ? Please help ...

Well depends on a few few things ...do you have a beard ? and Corduroy trousers ? do you cycle to the river ? centre pin or spinning reel ?

but thinking about it a Delkim might have tipped the scales a bit

Mike.
I suggest you drop the delkim in the river.

Get back to reading "The deepening pool" and don't be disturbed when brewing a cuppa on your fire.

Problem solved.

Seriously I have been pondering this.

My fishing generally is quite intense. I don't even use the baitrunner for bite indication unless making a coffee or tying a rig or having a pee.

My rod tip usually tells me so much about whether fish are around. On the Kennet 9 times out of 10 you would get an indication prior to a proper take.

However. My fishing generally lasts anything from 6 to 10 hours and then concentration wanes. And the eýes start to suffer.

Never having been one to camp out...even in my younger days, I do realise that over a longer term 2 or 3 days on the bank I certainly couldn't keep on fishing effectively. And certainly on some rivers like the Thames with fewer fish better results generally are achieved by long stay anglers.

So. It's up to you. But when I'm in my zone....please respect my peace and quiet and use any alarms sensibly with consideration.

Thanks.

Ideally, anyone using alarms would have the volume turned off and a remote sensor in their pocket on vibrate. This of course is not a cheap option and is rarely the case for most barbel anglers. So, turn them down so that they are just about audible and have your clutch set correctly on your reel(s)....for those damned fish that always seem to know when you have your back turned, collecting fuel for your Kelly Kettle!

I've not got a problem using alarms on lower Severn. I use them if I don't use my pins. Sport can be slow at the best of times on a cold winter day on there..

Back