• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle access.

Tony Stone

I have just bought a VW camper van and want to plan a few weekend trips with me, my missus and the dog.

Would ideally like some places where I can park up and fish out of the van, its going to more about my and the missus just being away, but ideally I want to catch some barbel too.

Any recommendations of such places please?? :cool:

Bob's Island in Newark may suit your needs. The owners have spent the closed season on bank work. A secure gate to keep none anglers out, which had been a serious issue previously. Located in the centre of Newark so your wife could wander into town if she wants.

IMG_2693.JPG

Park behind your peg on the A1 pits. Bailiff comes round for your money. I'd imagine it's busier now than it used to be because of Collingham stopping guests night fishing. Go midweek if you can.

View attachment 19802

Park behind your peg on the A1 pits. Bailiff comes round for your money. I'd imagine it's busier now than it used to be because of Collingham stopping guests night fishing. Go midweek if you can.
Is that including the River pegs mate??

On their website there is only mention of parking campers on the lake?

I have just bought a VW camper van and want to plan a few weekend trips with me, my missus and the dog.

Would ideally like some places where I can park up and fish out of the van, its going to more about my and the missus just being away, but ideally I want to catch some barbel too.

Any recommendations of such places please?? :cool:
A1 Pits as others have said. However the bailiff may charge you extra because you are in a campervan. He was going to charge me an extra tenner a night a couple of years ago when I was there in my Mazda Bongo, (Slightly smaller than a vw) but changed his mind. People driving long wheelbase hitop panel vans dont pay extra but it seems campervans should be taxed. I joined Newark piscatorials after that and fish the opposite bank. From my Bongo.
IMG_20210726_211825626.jpg

Bob's Island in Newark may suit your needs. The owners have spent the closed season on bank work. A secure gate to keep none anglers out, which had been a serious issue previously. Located in the centre of Newark so your wife could wander into town if she wants.
Bobs Island looks real nice, definately on the short list 👍👍

Sorry. Only meant to put up one photo. Bit of a gray moment.

<second photo removed for you - paul4>

Last edited by a moderator:
A1 Pits as others have said. However the bailiff may charge you extra because you are in a campervan. He was going to charge me an extra tenner a night a couple of years ago when I was there in my Mazda Bongo, (Slightly smaller than a vw) but changed his mind. People driving long wheelbase hitop panel vans dont pay extra but it seems campervans should be taxed. I joined Newark piscatorials after that and fish the opposite bank. From my Bongo.

Seems a bit strange that they would charge for a camper but not for a normal van!!

Is that including the River pegs mate??

On their website there is only mention of parking campers on the lake?

Yep, that is the river. Park behind all the river pegs.

Re the camper. Have a look on their FB page, lots of info about what you can and can't do regarding vehicles.

Any recommendations of such places please??
Seems a bit strange that they would charge for a camper but not for a normal van!!
I agree. I fished several times without being asked for extra until the day he informed me that I should by rights be paying for using a campervan. Have you met the bailliff?

I’ve never been there, it’s a 7hr round trip for me, so I kinda wanna know I’m gonna catch something before venturing all that way, although I’m fishing nothing is guaranteed

I’ve never been there, it’s a 7hr round trip for me, so I kinda wanna know I’m gonna catch something before venturing all that way, although I’m fishing nothing is guaranteed
It's a good enough stretch of river, but like anywhere else catching is not guaranteed. I'm not sure I'd drive that far to fish it . Certainly not with fuel prices as they are and the way my Bongo drinks petrol!

It's a good enough stretch of river, but like anywhere else catching is not guaranteed. I'm not sure I'd drive that far to fish it . Certainly not with fuel prices as they are and the way my Bongo drinks petrol!

Fuels prices are mental at the moment, 199.9 here today, but saw 202.9 on the way home from work yesterday

I like the A1 pits, it gives you exactly what you want. Just like any big Carp fishery does. You turn up, find a swim, get set up, the bailiff comes round and takes your money and you can stay as long as you like. It's busy, but there's loads of pegs on the river. The better pegs are as you first hit the river, the sunken barge peg will always be taken. But there are other good pegs as well, opposite Crankley point, opposite the signs telling boaters to keep left, pegs around the A1 road bridge. There's a large grassy area quite a way down thats popular. Ive fished it a few times now, and if it wasn't for having a Scunthorpe ticket, id fish it again.

I like the A1 pits, it gives you exactly what you want. Just like any big Carp fishery does. You turn up, find a swim, get set up, the bailiff comes round and takes your money and you can stay as long as you like. It's busy, but there's loads of pegs on the river. The better pegs are as you first hit the river, the sunken barge peg will always be taken. But there are other good pegs as well, opposite Crankley point, opposite the signs telling boaters to keep left, pegs around the A1 road bridge. There's a large grassy area quite a way down thats popular. Ive fished it a few times now, and if it wasn't for having a Scunthorpe ticket, id fish it again.

Thanks Simon, some good info there 👍👍

Back