• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vacuum sealing baits

Can you vac pac maggots. Yes you can . Just had a quick try and they came out fine, not squashed and wriggling away, once they got their breath back .
IMG_20221125_100122063.jpg
IMG_20221125_100922559.jpg

Can you vac pac maggots. Yes you can . Just had a quick try and they came out fine, not squashed and wriggling away, once they got their breath back .
Can you do a 'stasis' test - ie how long do they last without dying prior to magically reviving themselves?

Can you do a 'stasis' test - ie how long do they last without dying prior to magically reviving themselves?
I've just re packed them, I'm going to keep them for next week, probably open them wed or Thursday. I'll let you know how they are .
You don't really need to vacpac them..if you put them into a freezer bag with most of the air out and the neck tied you will get the same sort of result. They will use up the air left in the bag and they can easily be kept several days like this. Just spread them out afterwards and wait for them to start wriggling again .

I've just re packed them, I'm going to keep them for next week, probably open them wed or Thursday. I'll let you know how they are .
You don't really need to vacpac them..if you put them into a freezer bag with most of the air out and the neck tied you will get the same sort of result. They will use up the air left in the bag and they can easily be kept several days like this. Just spread them out afterwards and wait for them to start wriggling again .
The longer you leave them sealed, the longer that take to wake up. I've had them in a freezer bag in the fridge sealed for three weeks and they have taken twenty-four hours to come round. They last better if they are clean and dry before bagging.

Yes have done this before but interested to know whether the vacpac extends the normal method! Always buying 2-3pints on a Friday 'just incase I go over the weekend' but sometimes end up not using and end up freezing the following weekend - currently have a freezer full of frozen deads!

The longer you leave them sealed, the longer that take to wake up. I've had them in a freezer bag in the fridge sealed for three weeks and they have taken twenty-four hours to come round. They last better if they are clean and dry before bagging.
I'm not leaving them that long. There has to be a point where it's not practical...if you have to unpack them a day or so before you go fishing to see if they are going to come around or if you need to buy fresh.

They went bust in 2019 I believe
Thank heaven's mine is still going.
Been vacuum packing bait for years. I think you gives you a huge degree of confidence knowing that you are fishing with the freshest bait possible.

Back