• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Using Paste

Hi Paul,
I prefer to use paste wrapped around a hair rigged hook bait of the same, either boilie or pellet. If the paste falls off or is snaffled by crayfish or mitten crabs I still have have something for the fish to take. I haven't tried cork balls but maybe a pop-up is the way to go for the reasons I just mentioned?

Regards,
Stephen

Hi men,

Directly on the hook gives more hookups with chub , so unless you want that its better to wrap it round something !.

Hatter

i have found the enterprise pellets are great for this, they have a fair bouyancy and still have appel as bait if the paste is washed off and are virtually bombproof against crays ect:)

John,
I've not tried the Enterprise pellets, do they take on a flavour?....:)

Cheers John, definitely need to investigate them....:D

Any one had any success using halibut pellet and matching paste? I tried it before but only seemed to attract Bream.

I had a 11lb barbel on the 1st Jan last year using a single halibut pellet wrapped in the matching paste, with out any freebie's either, so it can and does work

A thumb full of paste tightly around the hook bait and then perhaps a few broken pellets and hemp seed mix squeezed onto that - the aim being that it'll disintegrate and break away over time in the water. And with that, no loose feed whatsoever is my preference on the smaller rivers I fish. Getting itchy feet with this fine weather.

Any one had any success using halibut pellet and matching paste? I tried it before but only seemed to attract Bream.

There are numerous bream down on the lower Paul and they certainly love the pellets, as do the barbel and chub. Standard advice is to avoid the use of groundbait which will pull the bream in for sure.

If you wish to avoid the bream picking some advocate large hook baits, 21mm and up by my personal experience is these are no problem for the average stamp of fish encountered there. From what I have seen snowman rigs won't deter them either.

Only thing that might do the trick is a 40mm or larger cube of meat!

Stephen

Tried meat, caught an Eel! :D

Think i'll just stick to boilies on the Thames and use the meat/paste etc. on smaller rivers!

if im using paste on the hook will use owner paste hooks,or will put a buoyant bait on the hair and wrap paste round it.

If you wish to avoid the bream picking some advocate large hook baits, 21mm and up by my personal experience is these are no problem for the average stamp of fish encountered there.

A few years ago when fishing the middle Trent regularly Bream were always likely to move in on pellets and fishmeal groundbait, tried big baits but even double 21mm pellets or boilies were taken by the Bream which averaged 6-8lb! When targeting Barbel i would only feed hemp and then fish a thumbnail sized piece of paste over the top ( made from ground halibut pellet and egg ). My prefered presentation was to side hook a piece of artificial corn on a size 8 then wrap the paste around that. I like catching chub! ;)

A few years ago when fishing the middle Trent regularly Bream were always likely to move in on pellets and fishmeal groundbait, tried big baits but even double 21mm pellets or boilies were taken by the Bream which averaged 6-8lb! When targeting Barbel i would only feed hemp and then fish a thumbnail sized piece of paste over the top ( made from ground halibut pellet and egg ). My prefered presentation was to side hook a piece of artificial corn on a size 8 then wrap the paste around that. I like catching chub! ;)

Ah but....I bite my nails, so my thumb nail is probably a different size to yours Andrew...I need precise dimensions please :D:D

Actually, on a more serious note....does anyone have a decent method of fishing paste in cray infested waters? There was a thread or a post or two on this subject ages ago, in which a particular flavour or brand of boilies was deemed to be good, because crays seemed not to be attracted to them. It just worries me as to why that should be...if crays don't want something, it must be bad, 'cos crays would eat a dead rats arris. Any ideas?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Yes they love Spam, especially the garlic stuff!

However, persevere because the barbel love it too :)

In flood conditions garlic Spam is without equal in my humble opinion.

Stephen

I have enough tins in my cupboard to feed a small nation so will be using meat a lot more this coming season.

Was thinking of trying a kind of meatball/spam cocktail as well after watching that chap catch on Mr. Crabtree. (Sorry, forgot his name!)

Back