• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

using old reels

Gary Wagstaff

not feeling it so far this season but decided to set my gear up yesterday .instead of the shimano 6000d i use have put on my snag n floods a pair of okuma epix pro 55 they feel better balanced on my rods
had one for years and managed to pick another for £15.00 last year thought i would have a change go back to the shimanos in winter for the larger leads

I have the Okuma Longbow baitrunners, they came I think before the Epix pros.
They are fairly large reels , robust, solid, with a fantastic front drag , they get used every time I dig out the Fox Barbel Duo Flood rods, a bulletproof pairing .

Old , No, just reliable !

David

Shimmys 5010 and 6010s, Epic Pro all still being used. Found a couple of Mitchell Performance reels I bought from Bowlers Tackle and from Martin himself must be 30 years ago...they were carp then and still are😄

I think Okuma reels are excellent and great value for money
Last session out I used some old 6000gtes which had been my go to reels for most my fishing life
Compared to OCs and Okuma dyna drags they felt, well, old……
Despite being serviced to Mr Isaacs specifications the clutch was just not smooth compared to modern front drags and clamping down on the spool cost me a decent fish- first one lost like this this season

Will still have a place for them on river pike rods where I back wind but for barbel- time to retire them I think

Update 2 session with the reels took a bit of time to get use to the clutch settings. The make my snag n floods feel more balanced and light than the 6000ds will stick with them till winter until big leads needed

Gone back to 6000d for the winter spooled up with Korda subline 12lb as my go to line in the shimano range has been discontinued

Shimmys 5010 and 6010s, Epic Pro all still being used. Found a couple of Mitchell Performance reels I bought from Bowlers Tackle and from Martin himself must be 30 years ago...they were carp then and still are😄
Still use my shimmy 5010 gts ,… they must be 30 years old.
God only knows how many hours I’ve fished with them but they haven’t missed a beat in all those years.
I always slacken off the clutch after each session,… bail arms are still strong.
I was going to upgrade to the super baitrunner some years ago but missed the boat on the 5000 series and shelled out on a pair of 6000’s without seeing them first hand. Much to big for my barbel fishing so they’ve remained pristine at the back of a cupboard!
Sometimes,… just to rewind the clock I use one of my old Mitchell 300s which my Shimmy 5000 gt’s replaced,.. chalk and cheese,… rubbish clutch,… worn out bail arm spring etc. I’d replaced gears twice many years ago as well.

Still use my Mitchell 300's on some Chub sessions.

And me on my Barbel sessions.

IMG_8598.jpeg

Dave

Shame Adam , I find Mitchells every bit as good as any modern reel of the same
size .Which side the handle is on does not bioher me on fixed spools, although I prefer my pins to be LHW .

People complain about sticking clutches and weak bail springs on Mitchells ,but mine are fine, a little tlc and they will probably be around long after most modern ” plastic” reels have given up the ghost.I have no idea how old mine are but I do know one of them was purchased second hand when I was about 20 , I am nearly 71 now so it has stood the test of time, a bit battered and chipped but it works fine , its what is inside that matters , not a badly needed paint job.

Or as I do , just call it Patina .

David

size .Which side the handle is on does not bioher me on fixed spools, although I prefer my pins to be LHW .

People complain about sticking clutches and weak bail springs on Mitchells ,but mine are fine, a little tlc and they will probably be around long after most modern ” plastic” reels have given up the ghost.I have no idea how old mine are but I do know one of them was purchased second hand when I was about 20 , I am nearly 71 now so it has stood the test of time, a bit battered and chipped but it works fine , its what is inside that matters , not a badly needed paint job.

David
I still have a Mitchell 300a which I brought new God knows how long ago which still does what it’s supposed to.
When Mitchell brought out the new 300S skirted spool edition I brought a pair and used them for nearly all my fishing back then.
I must admit they took a caning but I had more problems with that model than any other,… shame because it was basically a good design imho especially the skirted spool.

Talking about using old reels,…. once or twice a year I use my old dad’s Mordex Merlin that he brought in the 50’s and I nearly ruined in the late 60’s when l ‘borrowed’ it without permission.
Probably not quite in the spirit of this thread because I give it an outing for sentimental reasons remembering when he took me fishing.
He liked river perch fishing so I give it a go on the D.Stour for them and think of him.
2017-03-02 13.46.42.jpeg

Talking about using old reels,…. once or twice a year I use my old dad’s Mordex Merlin that he brought in the 50’s and I nearly ruined in the late 60’s when l ‘borrowed’ it without permission.
Probably not quite in the spirit of this thread because I give it an outing for sentimental reasons remembering when he took me fishing.
He liked river perch fishing so I give it a go on the D.Stour for them and think of him.View attachment 26409
A sentimental reason to go fishing is one of the best reasons to go Dave.....brilliant.

David
No problems with my 300's or 410's either David, looked after them from day one 1980. Iconic reels that lots of anglers used from 1950's ? onwards and when I use them now I am in heaven when I hear that coffee grinding noise.

I would stick my neck out and say the 300/301 where the biggest selling reel model ever ??

Back