• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Using 2 rods

For me it's about fishing enjoyment. I find that if I use 2 rods I never really concentrate on either. I'm looking from one to the other and my attention wanders. Take one of them in and my focus improves. Maybe I'm just a bear of little brain!

For me it's about fishing enjoyment.

Thats always the first consideration Mike, if two rods doesn't suit you, stick to one simple. you've got it right Mike No point in doing anything that you don't enjoy.

I think there are a lot out there that use 2 rods that don't really enjoy it, as a result they don't think it out, with the potential they end up in a mess.

Ian.

Dear Dave,

This "should" come up as mesen. Originally registered as mesen but it would only allow the old title for some reason? Andy has now put that right I believe.

Regards,

Lee.

Should be sorted now, me old mate :)

Oh, and welcome "back"

paul4

Goodie gum drops.

Ah so here I am as mesen.

Good Afternoon Paul and thanks for kicking the old title in the bin. I don't actually fish the Trent presently (not for the last couple of years actually) due entirely to the sad fact I could not find the Burbot. How are you keeping and are you catching loads?

Regards,

Lee.

My approach is very similar to Ian Grants. I fish 2 rods in two different areas, usually up and down stream.

I do sometimes fish both rods downstream but one will be very tight underneath the near bank, right under the rod tip, with the other at least 10 yards away mid stream.

The rods will be splayed out either side of my chair on baitrunners. I'm always on them instantly but they're always useful in case you have a cup of tea in your hand, which I usually do in an effort to tempt the fish into biting and making me spill my tea.

Basically my rule of thumb is that I must be able to land fish in different areas of the swim so no danger of them going over the other line.

Given I fish a tricky bit of river I'm lucky to get one bite let alone have two on at once!

If it was a prolific bit of river I'd just use one rod but I do feel using 2 rods has enabled me to test out different areas, different baits A vs B, learn more about the river and catch a couple more fish along the way.

cheers, simon

Think I told you fellas this story once before, of how, on a small river in summer 2006, I had an out-of-mind rod fishing a bait downstream of (and for) me and a main rod fishing a bait ten to fifteen yards upstream of me (I was using a plasticine-weighted home-made bobbin, waiting for it to twitch up a couple of meaningful times before flooring it as a fish bolted back down), I got a seconds-apart double-take - from a 9-plus barbel and 14-09 mirror. Both landed by some miracle.

Never again.

Paul

Unless you have suffered cerebral damage from moderating forums, I suggest you chuck out all your existing bait for the birds to feed on while the rivers freeze and rethink that and its presentation from all perspectives.

If you have suffered cerebral damage then you are going to have to relearn your watercraft!:eek:

Back