• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upstreaming for Barbel

Neil Lumby

As above what’s your tactics in this situation? Semi fixed or running? Light or heavy lead? The swim I’m talking about has the flow coming from right to left. Also to the right is the point of an island so the river is split coming down past the island and then joins just to my right. I’d be fishing in the deeper back channel just above where the island ends.

Upstreaming, I use simple running rigs, fairly heavy with a bow in the line. If fishing with two rods (just the one at times) I tend to find the bites come to the one rod. At a guess 66:33 ratio downstream : upstream rod.

I use longer hooklinks if I’m fishing upstream compared to down to try keep it further away from the main line. Lead wise I use heavy enough to keep a slight bend in the rod. I prefer a tighter line to keep the line off the bottom and away from the hook link. I know others prefer to let off slack to have a bow in the line though

Running rig with a nice heavy lead for me always fish around a 2ft hook length as well.

There are a couple of ways to fish it. If using one rod searching swims and staying mobile a lead which just holds bottom and a carbon tip bent so you can easily see a tap and a drop back. Add a bow into the line or slightly bigger lead if you are struggling to hold bottom in a slightly faster swim. For a more static set up, a two rod set up (one downstream, one upstream) or if you want to leave your hook bait in position for a long time you can use a heavy lead and a running rig with a run ring to allow free movement. This type of set up can give you a bite that looks like a downstream bite in reverse. Lots of variables too, are you fishing for lots of fish or just one. Will you be casting right on top of the fish or putting a bait into an area and then hoping to attract them. Is it an awkward area to cast to so better to put a heavier lead up there and leave it. Do you have flood water so can get away with a bigger lead hitting the water or is it a shallow clear area where a big lead will spook the crap out of them never to return. If so an underarm pendulum cast and smaller lead might be the correct option.

On the ribble if i have plenty room start 25 yards up streaming enough lead to hold bottom bow in the line with a short hook link 15 inch max will be coated briad no cofidence in fluro .move it about 5 yards down stream every cast till i get a bite or indication
bottom rod starts just down stream moving 5 yard every cast. the long it takes to get a bite will leave it in for up to an hour after a few hours of fishing

Bit different for me.
Feeder, plugged very tight with groundbait/flavour and 6 inch hook length. With groundbait about 2 ounces heavier than needed.

Groundbait mixed so it will stay in feeder up to an hour even. Pressed in as hard as possible

Intention to put lots of smell static on deck for fish to move up to without touching hook length.

Sometimes up to 3 extra rod lengths after cast pulled of reel on bigger rivers so main line sometimes entering water level with me. I know also the main line is pinned down onto deck below feeder.

Bites will be bounce of rod top. Met with lift and quick line recovery to contact.

thanks for all the replies chaps!! Had a go in said swim 3 short evening trips this week and have had 8 or 9 fish now alas all below average size for this river… finally had a better one this eve. The bites are slowly drying up now and after this one today I started getting a lot of short pulls and taps that I’m sure are still barbel but didn’t hook anymore.
Will keep at it. Thanks again for all the advice.
BE8D3952-A5BE-43CE-90C6-9EDEEEEB054C.jpeg

My approach is different, and my upstream rod took more fish. But I was targetting the bigger fish (hopefully) :)

Fishing only 1 yard from the nearside bank, slightly bigger running lead, slack line. My reasoning that the bigger fish come for a look, then back off, then return and again back off. Over a course of an evening plucking up the courage to take the bait just once. One cast in one session, maybe the bait in the water for up to 8 hours. Takes some nerve as no, couldn't be sure the bait was still intact after 30 mins and thereafter 7.5 hours obviously fruitless. It needs careful choice of swim where unlikely to be wiped out by debris, and obviously no crays present.

Bites? movement of the line where enters the water, trembles on the rod, and needing a very sharp hook.

I don't think too much about how this all works, I just know I had 6 fish upstream per 1 downstream, and they were all bigger fish.

I just read my last post and will add something.

I believe the bigger fish mooch around moving in an upstream direction close to the bank, where they might encounter your bait, warily leaving it for another perusal later. The fish then goes midstream and lets the flow take it downstream, then returns. A kinda circular pattern, likely many many yards up and down.

When I caught my biggest barbel I noticed movement and picked up the rod when likely I moved the lead. I believe the fish was hooked but didn't know it, I had moved the lead. Not until it was across and slightly downstream when I gave it a swift tug to ensure the hook was set (not a strike as such) then it woke up and all hell broke loose.

This same "procedure" was almost identical to my big fish second and third in my size list. It can't be coincidence.

Back