• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upper Windrush

Kelvin Martin

Can anyone give me any information regarding the Windrush. I have an opportunity to fish a few miles of the river around Minster Lovell. I doubt there are any Barbel around, but any views about other species would be most welcome.

Thanks Kelvin

kelvinamartin1@btinternet.com

Hi Kelvin,

Back in the noughties, the Upper Windrush was a happy hunting ground for Dace, Roach, Chub, Trout and even Grayling. I never caught Barbel any further up than Witney, but know that some did. Sadly, the river suffered a sharp decline, which coincided with me moving further west, although I did have a little look at the river near at Burford recently and it was looking in fine winter fettle.
Tight lines if you manage a session or two!

Thanks Kevin, I fished the Windrush years ago when it was a top river. Sadly all the Thames tributaries are shadows of their former selves. I will give it a go next week - I am not expecting much!

The chub have also declined a lot on the Windrush Kelvin. I expect you'll get a few trout but not much else. Except maybe crays :(

Back