• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unwritten rule

When fishing club lakes I have had anglers throwing bait into my swim saying the wind will drift it into theirs. Have had people pitch up in the swim next door when I have been the only angler on the lake and then proceed to hammer in pegs for their brolly. Have had them walk around the lake and stop behind me while having a loud argument on the phone for 20 minutes. Have had them step over my rod to lean over my swim and ask me a 100 questions. They will fish opposite you without batting an eye lid.

A few years ago I couldn't go to a local stretch of river without encountering magnet-lark families who would not hesitate to chuck a magnet into your swim.

Tadpole Bridge is a popular stretch of the Upper Thames where you can park behind your swim and every single angler slams their car doors at least a dozen times.

There is no peace for the wicked - Isaiah 57:20

All of my favorite and productive lower Thames swims have a distinct similarity, they are not accessable from anywhere else, no fear of someone jumping in next door, always a must for my swim choice. I do fish some very popular areas, but I will only fish them with nobody fishing anywhere close, or the end swim, I hate crowds.

When fishing club lakes I have had anglers throwing bait into my swim saying the wind will drift it into theirs. Have had people pitch up in the swim next door when I have been the only angler on the lake and then proceed to hammer in pegs for their brolly. Have had them walk around the lake and stop behind me while having a loud argument on the phone for 20 minutes. Have had them step over my rod to lean over my swim and ask me a 100 questions. They will fish opposite you without batting an eye lid.

A few years ago I couldn't go to a local stretch of river without encountering magnet-lark families who would not hesitate to chuck a magnet into your swim.

Tadpole Bridge is a popular stretch of the Upper Thames where you can park behind your swim and every single angler slams their car doors at least a dozen times.

There is no peace for the wicked - Isaiah 57:20
I didn't know you can now park behind your swim at Tadpole Bridge Edward. It used to be the car park only except for the bailiff who would drive and park anywhere from the road to the weir. That used to be a great stretch of river; is it still put the money in the envelope and put in the "postbox"?

That used to be a great stretch of river; is it still put the money in the envelope and put in the "postbox"?
It's a club now Alex - only £25 but the stretch is shared with South Cerney and very busy all year - particularly with pole and match anglers - because you can park behind your swim. It's a comfortable and safe place for OAPs to fish. There's a road opposite leading to the lock and at weekends and school holidays it is rammed with kids on their scooters and bikes and shouting parents. Fishing in the middle of London would be more peaceful. The place has lost all its romance. I prefer the stretch below the bridge.

It's a club now Alex - only £25 but the stretch is shared with South Cerney and very busy all year - particularly with pole and match anglers - because you can park behind your swim. It's a comfortable and safe place for OAPs to fish. There's a road opposite leading to the lock and at weekends and school holidays it is rammed with kids on their scooters and bikes and shouting parents. Fishing in the middle of London would be more peaceful. The place has lost all its romance. I prefer the stretch below the bridge.

I never fished below the bridge. Above the bridge was excellent for barbel and chub about 30 years ago.

Was over on the llyn peninsula about 10 yrs ago fishing a club match on a cliff face where we had to form a chain gang to lower all the fishing gearod down to the lowerror ledges we had been fishing about 2 hrs when a group of outdoor adventurers came swimming around the corner then proceedEd to then attach ropes and started the climb up the cliff the 3rd person up spotted us half way up his climb and asked how we got there so we explained we lowered the gear down step by step and he then asked with ropes we said no just tidy footwork and team work the look of horror on his face was comical he then told us we were of our heads for climbing down here with out any ropes to which I replied says the one who come swimming around a cliff face he then started laughing and said I suppose so but talk about ruining a good swim how rude lol

Back