• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unusual or embarassing moments

Roger Carswell

A few years back, I snagged up on the bottom - after a brief tug of war I wound in to find what looked like a second world war bayonet attached to my hook. One of my most embarrassing moments though came years ago when I was about 10 years of age. Whilst fishing for dace with my old dad I hooked into what felt like another lively fish only to swing in a condom filled with water. I burnt up with embarrassment! Dad just said ‘I don’t think we’ll put that one in the keepnet.’

What embarrassing or unusual things have happened to other anglers?:rolleyes:

Stretch I fish is popular with dog walkers and can be quiet during the week. So there I was marching up the footpath keen to get a line in the water when I came across a couple walking their dogs. Only thing was the female of the couple had her trousers round her ankles having a pee!

Whilst chatting to a bailiff on a new club water I recently joined today, I attempted a 40 Yd cast with a 5oz feeder.... With the bail arm still over. He didn't say so, but I reckon he's labled me in the noddy category. Thought I was going to make ammends by showing another of the clubs bailiffs, that I can catch barbel, only to be snapped clean on 18lb bs fluorocarbon, whilst he watched.

Whilst chatting to a bailiff on a new club water I recently joined today, I attempted a 40 Yd cast with a 5oz feeder.... With the bail arm still over. He didn't say so, but I reckon he's labled me in the noddy category. Thought I was going to make ammends by showing another of the clubs bailiffs, that I can catch barbel, only to be snapped clean on 18lb bs fluorocarbon, whilst he watched.

Think that the two fish now towing rigs around,are thinking,....wish he had
taken up golf!!!!:mad::mad:,and the bailiff is correct .......you are a noddy!!

Last edited:
I can't speak for other anglers, but my embarrassing moment was yesterday. I took some rubbish out to the bins and someone saw me wearing my new sun hat, courtesy of this weeks Anglers Mail.

Howard,

1 fish carrying size 8 hook and small amount of line.
Everything held on the attempted cast, I just looked like a clown.

Jon

A few spring to mind,

Hooked a carp early one morning that shot off and went under a line from a jetty so I walked out on the jetty popped the rod under the line got back in direct contact turned round while concentrating on the fish only to put my right foot down where there was no plank. Painful but have everyone else a laugh.

Chining out a pike for a friend only to slip on the wet middy bank as I reached out and falling in.

A friend asked me to cast a rod into a swim opposite where he was so he could bait it up and place in in the far margin by hand. Was a 70 yard chuck and the rods being his old 2.25 daiwas thought better put some oomph into the cast and it ended up 50 foot up the tree on the far bank. He lost a lead and a leader and wasn't impressed.

Falling in mostly, and once taking my gear with me, having only to go back in to find it, and it was november...lol

Back in the days we were fishing for Tench in Kent myself and Dave Cable were walking round the lake coming back from the pub when we stumbled across a couple of enthusiastic younguns in a very intimate clinch at the side of the path, anyway we crept quietly up to them and with a cheery "evenin" we walked on by, poor girl nearly choked on her lolly :D

Caught a deflated plastic blow up doll in the canal at Denham lock when young,we all nearly fell in laughing,much mickey taking.Fell in 3 weeks in a row on 3 different venues about 30 years ago.Fell in again that winter with snow on the ground trying to catch a mates umbrella from going in,(it stayed dry)

My most stupid moment was when on holiday in Fiji. I had booked a trip with two others on a big game boat, to sail at 6am.. I was first to arrive at the pontoon, it was still dark, and I was busting for a pee, I laid my rod / reel down on the boards and did what was required,stepped back and managed to kick my rod and reel into the water.
Having laid out a lot of cash for the kit I was not going to loose it so easily, so in the darkness I let myself down into the water and dived , reaching the bottom it was very silty and It took several dives and a lot of feeling around in the pitch blackness to eventually find the rod.
I managed to climb back on the pontoon,with the rod and reel, grazing my arms and legs in the process,as I did so it was getting light, and I saw the Charter "Captain" as he called himself walking down the pontoon toward me, followed by the other two anglers..
He looked at me and said.
"Your not getting on my boat in that state "
I looked and saw that I was covered in black oozy mud from head to foot and was bleeding from the cuts on my arms and legs. :eek:
The skipper laughed when I told him what had happened, and then managed to clean me up by giving me a hosing down with the boats deck wash hosepipe and a long handled brush before he would let me on board.

Dave.

slipped on the banking as you do,started down hill got iinto a run slipped did the splits, and ripped my pant from the zip,right around to my arse, ????? so all day fished with red boxers on, and to make it more funny, people were saying morning as the do, ??????, that particular day i didnt bring my over pants ???? **** happens

a real amusing time was had when i was fishing with an anonymous bfw member at aldermastons old mill, my mate had a great bite and the rod hooped right over, the struggle continued for some time me poised with the landing net waiting to see the monster fish:eek::eek: when it finally gave up it turned out to be a keepnet of about 10ft which was weighed down with weed and stuff:D:D:D:D the man with no name who caught knows:p:p:)
that net acted just like a biggun hugging the bottom and fooled both of us,
beleive me it took a while for both of us to stop laughing our heads off:)

I remember it well John, it was a new PB for me :D

Hope you're well my friend

paul4

Used to fish a trout water where we had a poaching problem. One day as I approached I spotted a VW Beetle parked in a lay bay where by crossing a small spinney access to the water could be gained and we thought this was how poachers were getting in.

So I parked my car and crept along the bank only to find a young couple "having it off" on the bank. They must have thought I was a Peeping Tom!

well still alive and kicking paul but the hospital told my wife and family that i wouldnt see the night through on jan.1st:D:D:D they should have asked me:)
my whole body functions shut down and i survived soley on oxygen for 2 weeks or so, lost 3 1/2 stone in tha 2 weeks and was up and outta there within 5 days of coming out of the comatose,
So all in all i am feeling great , wiil ring you during this week paul:)

Don't know you John but well done on your return from the other side !!! That pure Welsh air will give you the strength to get out there and purchase a whole new wardrobe !!!

Back