• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

unusual baits....

Chris Cheshire

After talking to a guy in the pub the other night ( a few beers in I should add ) the fella I was talking to declared adamantly that he had once caught a barbel whilst pike fishing on a deadbait.

Now i have heard of salmon anglers catching barbel and even seen it suggested somewhere that a dead minnow is a bait worth trying for barbel, but this got me to thinking...

Whats the most unusual bait you have ever caught a barbel on?

Hello Chris , I reckon barbel will eat almost anything . The more unusual baits I have caught them on by design , are dead minnows, black slugs , slug/ worm cocktail . In my view it's all about confidence and trying something new . I reckon if it can fall or be put in to a river the barbel will eat it , they are not fussy . However I think on smaller / clear rivers they can be become wary of baits they see a lot off . That said , on the same type of rivers in a flood when they can't '' examine '' the food they will take most anything .

I haven't really caught Barbel on unusual baits.
But I once caught a 2lb perch on some spicy luncheon meat intended for Barbel!
Sorry to totally destroy the thread mate!

I once had a large Barbel on a Ragi boilie prepared by my guide, Jumari, during the long hot summer of ’76 where the Severn flows through the Indian quarter of Worcester……………….

Ive seen a video on Youtube from Europe where a guy is spinning for barbel and catches a few

the weirdest thing I ever caught on was a piece of Kebab meat I couldnt manage to finish, the barbel was just over 9lb

A leaded nymph when fluff chucking in a weirpool. Gave my light fly rod a bit of a work out.

I once had a large Barbel on a Ragi boilie prepared by my guide, Jumari, during the long hot summer of ’76 where the Severn flows through the Indian quarter of Worcester……………….

Sounds like a load of coracles to me Richard...all though if you visit a pub with a cauvery, you mah seer decent bait there.

Cheers, Dave :eek:

Probably shouldnt let this out but it maybe old news now. About 15 years ago I too got into the what bait conundrum. I wanted an edge over the tins of spam hauled in on the severn. I went through several ideas some of which will stay in the bait/recipe book. But I had alot of success on beans/pulses and peas. I would mash/blend certain pulses and beans and bind it with a mixture of semilina/egg to form a paste. Great for the margins of the lower severn the carp and barbel seemed to love it. Everynow and then I hooked into some good barbel (size not being disclosed as is the wish of the syndicate manager) on hair rigged broad beans which I had moulded paste around. I also went down the road of the sweet tooth bait using fizzy cola bottles etc with fair success but not as good as the bean/pea and pulses.

Pat.

P.s If you do use beans/peas and pulses make sure there well soaked.

An old bailiff on my club ticket used to catch a load of barbel on broad beans. They'll try anything once, reckon if you hair rigged a whole Cadbury's cream egg...if its in the right place at the right time ...wallop !! :D

D.

I've had something have a go at a plummet whilst plumbing up on the Trent. Felt just like a bite you'd get touch ledgering and I guess the plummet looked like a big pellet!

Plenty of barbel fall to lamprey intended for pike. I've had two around the double mark. Give you a slightly more positive first run than most esox...

was on the trent,and was talking to this fellow he told me that he had seen a guy using raw black pudding peices on the hook, and catching ????? makes you wonder dosent it

All fish are predatory to some extent, when I was a kid I used to deliberately fish for barbel with minnows and caught a few, particularly early season.

A stretch of the Severn I know produced a 5.08 chub to half a mackerel.

Another time I hooked a bream on a bare hook while checking the depth, must have been attracted by the movement.

A few years ago I had several barbel up to low doubles from the Kennet on half a sardine intended for chub. Very positive bites indeed. I also had one on a declawed (probably not necessary) signal crayfish (and I now know that fishing crays, even signals is illegal).

Mic

Cod liver oil capsules has given me some pretty nice barbel too

Back