• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

unhooking mat

Robert Richbell

Apologies if there is already a thread but a qick search didn't show it, i want a new unhooking mat, i currently use a carp mat which is a bit big and bulky, the padded area is 94x60 can someone recommend something smaller but which will still give good protection to double figure barbel

I recently purchased the Korum Multi Mat.
85cm x 40cm, plenty of padding and can be used as a bag and weigh sling plus you can carry the fish back to the water in it!!

Matchman Supplies:D

River Kennet, full moon preferred but not mandatory, the banks are a mixture of gravel and grass so needs to be tough on the outside and all soft and cuddly inside., if it guarantees more fish, so much the better. Will be used all year round, except the close season and when i wuss out if its snowing. Being a tightwad i didnt replace my small unhooking mat 4 years ago when a "mate" borrowed it and failed to return it, hence the use of the carp mat.
It might need to cope with the loddon and the blackwater (hampshire) from time to time.

in that case anything from dragon carp £2 specials up to korum/wychwood/shimano/(insert brand name here) should do the trick :)

I just use one of those roll up carp mats which are (40"x19"x1in) with elastic belt straps.
Rolls up in seconds and fits snug on your carryall or rucksack, very light (even wet soaking wet) plus you have something to sit on if on the move alot :)

Tart my ass:D fish care 1st;)

I also have the roll up mat but could never take it off my bed, used it as a padded mattress:D

my only concern with the cheapy stuff was whether they had enough padding, my local tackle shop is pretty carp oriented so unless they have something its a mail order job and a glossy pic and rosy rhetoric dont always deliver. I would prefer to buy something other people have used and found suitable.

my only concern with the cheapy stuff was whether they had enough padding, my local tackle shop is pretty carp oriented so unless they have something its a mail order job and a glossy pic and rosy rhetoric dont always deliver. I would prefer to buy something other people have used and found suitable.

i've never had a problem with my keenets one (same design as all cheapo ones). at the end of the day anything is better than gravel/hard ground. even long grass....

I use a Fox Barbel Mat, it is the perfect size and rolls up super small, one of the best things Fox ever made and they stopped making them just as Barbel fishing was really taking off.........I would have bought another if I thought they were going to discontinue them!!

Like others have said, you don't need anything massive just well padded......

I use one of double T ones not to big also got a strap on to go over your shoulders

Dean I know you keep preaching the virtues of pink as the new camo but please this is a family forum :p

I use one of double T ones not to big also got a strap on to go over your shoulders
Dean I know you keep preaching the virtues of pink as the new camo but please this is a family forum :p
Can we expect to see a "What Strap On" thread in the near future? Although I'm sure Sam will tell us how to walk into your local adult shop and pick one :D

Another vote for the Korum one.

Folds into 1/3's and fits in chair.

Steve
I don't know what mine is, just a cheapie, but it also folds into 1/3s and slots into my seat back, nice and comfortable when I'm blanking, lol. Or with my other chair, it just slots into the folded chair for carrying.

Back