• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unexpected 'cut-offs'

Bob Brookes

Last week I was fishing with a pal on the Trent. We shared a productive swim, chosen so my guest and I could fish together and so we could expect to catch a few. The day went to plan with us landing 10 barbel and 4 chub between us, leaving me with the satisfaction of seeing my guest having a day to remember.

Now to the purpose of this post. The bottom that we were fishing over is clear gravel with no snags and boulders. Up until lunchtime and beyond, everything we hooked we landed. The sun became quite fierce but the bites kept coming. However, both of us lost a fish with 15 lb mono being cleanly cut. There was no abraision, just a clean cut in both cases. Now I have experienced this before over the years in 2 other swims and always in the afternoon after hooking and landing multiple barbel in the morning. In all cases the cut was clean, with no other damage to the line. I always change line regularly and use very good stuff which we have tested well when I was a Barbel Catchers member.

I have a theory that this could well be caused by swan mussels, which are quite common in the river. The edges can be like razors, so could they be opening up to feed as the day warms up? I think this is a definite possibility. Have others experience this problem in their rivers? If so, do you this my theory may have some validity, I would be interested to hear your views.

Last week I was fishing with a pal on the Trent. We shared a productive swim, chosen so my guest and I could fish together and so we could expect to catch a few. The day went to plan with us landing 10 barbel and 4 chub between us, leaving me with the satisfaction of seeing my guest having a day to remember.

Now to the purpose of this post. The bottom that we were fishing over is clear gravel with no snags and boulders. Up until lunchtime and beyond, everything we hooked we landed. The sun became quite fierce but the bites kept coming. However, both of us lost a fish with 15 lb mono being cleanly cut. There was no abraision, just a clean cut in both cases. Now I have experienced this before over the years in 2 other swims and always in the afternoon after hooking and landing multiple barbel in the morning. In all cases the cut was clean, with no other damage to the line. I always change line regularly and use very good stuff which we have tested well when I was a Barbel Catchers member.

I have a theory that this could well be caused by swan mussels, which are quite common in the river. The edges can be like razors, so could they be opening up to feed as the day warms up? I think this is a definite possibility. Have others experience this problem in their rivers? If so, do you this my theory may have some validity, I would be interested to hear your views.
Had exactly this problem in a lake that is infested with signal crayfish. What bait were you using ?

I've had this before on the Trent, and also on a stillwater. I put it down to a tight line coming contact with a snag with sufficiently 'sharp' edge.

On the stillwater, it seems it may have been the remains of an old boardwalk / jetty post which could be seen on old aerial photos, although impossible to see from the bank now. Other anglers have reported the same. Line (12lb GR60) snapping like it had been cut with scissors with an angry carp in the other end.

Could be any number if snags on the bottom of the trent, they don't have to be big.

Equally, swan mussels are well capable on cutting your line easily.

B
Had exactly this problem in a lake that is infested with signal crayfish. What bait were you using ?
Boilies Richard. It isn't the hook-link failing, but the mainline just above the swivel. We haven't a signal crayfish problem on the stretch in question either.

I've had this before on the Trent, and also on a stillwater. I put it down to a tight line coming contact with a snag with sufficiently 'sharp' edge.

On the stillwater, it seems it may have been the remains of an old boardwalk / jetty post which could be seen on old aerial photos, although impossible to see from the bank now. Other anglers have reported the same. Line (12lb GR60) snapping like it had been cut with scissors with an angry carp in the other end.

Could be any number if snags on the bottom of the trent, they don't have to be big.

Equally, swan mussels are well capable on cutting your line easily.
Thanks for your reply Joe. It's just the fact that the cut-offs only happen later in the day, after hours without any such issues in the same spots. Curious!

The thing that is confusing is that it only starts to happen after a period of time.so your opening up of SM could be right.

Unless.........its a pike or two come into the swim with the activity and grabbing the feeder/lead.

Last edited:
Otters I reckon ... bleedin' perishers :rolleyes:
Yep, swan mussels I reckon...when rebaiting hold rod high above your head and reel in like crazy (especially if there's a ledge...as mussels will often live on them, IME).

Agree most likely swan mussels - if the cut is in roughly the same area try a long length of leadcore (3-6ft) above the hooklink connection and see if that helps . . .

Mitten crabs ??? Maybe …The tidal is infested with the little ba**ards
Was thinking the same myself Terry as I’ve heard of one or two turning up on “the middle “

We had a few at Collingham bill bloody big buggers as well also had some cut offs halfway up the hooklink

Point taken regarding lead core, but I just couldn't bring myself to use it for barbel fishing. Thanks Chris.
I share your dislike of leadcore, especially in long lengths.

You could try some tungsten tubing (say 18”), Ive used a lot of ESP Anchor tube in the past.

My last visit to the Trent resulted in a pick up with a fish on for about 5 seconds then slack as the braided hook length has been bitten through. By the fight almost certainly a pike.
I fish this swim fairly regularly and last season I had a 'drop back bite' where I just wound down to nothing. The whole rig lost. I think that was a pike that swam through the line or was maybe interested in the feeder. There are big pike in the stretch.

Last edited:
I would say you can rule out pike simply because it’s happening above the hook link and while it’s possible to happen that a pike could crash the party and get your main line in its teeth I’d say to happen several times and cut you off while playing a fish is very unlikely imo.

I think Joe is on the money. Your line has simply hit something sharp at this time of day.

Bob was there any bite indication before the 'cut' and parting of company?

Back