• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Underwater GoPro

Dave Taylor

I love watching barbel as well as other fish and have attempted to take polarised shots without a great deal of success. Maybe if I shelled out a few grand for a better camera and lens it might help, but I'm tempted to try some underwater filming on a low budget if possible. I don't think Hugh Miles ought to worry about competition but I'd love to give it a try on both Avon and Stour.
Not sure what's involved, but a waterproof GoPro on a pole would be a start maybe?
Maybe an app so I could use the phone to see what I'm filming? ( If poss?)
Time and patience are no problem, .. finding obliging subject matter could be another story. Any suggestions that won't break the bank would be welcome.

I've observed barbel on the Avon for years and there are moments I would love to have on film such as when I was watching a really good fish from a bridge laying up midstream behind a small boulder, .. then when joined by another it thwacked it out of the way.
Saw similar today when a belligerent double came up alongside a pike that must have gone 15lbs and gave it the tail-slap.
You're never going to capture all those moments on film I know, but I'd love to get just few to watch again whilst sitting on the sofa with a beer.

I bought this just before my Canada trip Dave. No need for any waterproof boxes anymore they are fully waterproof as they come for £150..... Absolute bargain IMO.
The film quality is superb as you can see from my recent posts from Canada. Splash out another £50 and you'll get a 32 gig memory card for it along with the full attachment kit from ebay or amazon....
I haven't used mine underwater yet but I know others who have with great results.

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-104-master.html

Just bought one of these for similar reasons:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N41PBMT/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1505801691&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Nexgadget+explorer4

Seems pretty good for the money, not really used it much yet as the accessories that come with it are more for helmets and bikes etc. Comes with a remote strap, not tried the Wi-Fi phone app yet.
What I'm struggling with is finding a pole that will hold the camera upright when filming down into the water. All the selfie type sticks hold the camera from the bottom, which would mean filming upside down.

Ive owned 2 GoPro`s both packed up they were good while they worked !!

but then when my second one went at the start of my once in a lifetime Philippines month holiday I purchased a SJ6 Legend and have to say its miles better and cheaper too !! and the my gopro accessories all fit apart from batteres but as they are so cheap :) who cares

My advice before rushing our and buying a GoPro checkout the SJCAM Models

I have the same one as John, not cheap but really great picture quality up to 4K resolution,. I used it on my trip to Canada out in the rain all day and worked great. Use it more now on my bike-works great there too.

Rhys, I have a SJCAM SJ4000 and, if I remember correctly, it has a function where you can invert the filming (so the camera can be upside down when attached but still give you the image the right way up). Yours may have a similar function in the menu.

The ones that are in the Amazon link are more than good enough for what you want to use it for.yes go pros are the top end but those at £40 with a wrist watch are more than good enough I know I ahave two.i use mine on my landing net pole to catch the fish going in the net.they are also very shock proof as my mate found out when it fell off his helmet when go karting.he went and fetched it and it was still recording after falling off at around 40mph bouncing down the track.obviously in the clear case it comes with.

Rhys, I have a SJCAM SJ4000 and, if I remember correctly, it has a function where you can invert the filming (so the camera can be upside down when attached but still give you the image the right way up). Yours may have a similar function in the menu.

Hey you're right! Cheers Anthony :)

Got a brochure from Fishtec yesterday. They have one of these cameras with waterproof case and a lot of accessories for £35.
No idea of the quality.

The WiFi signal will not penetrate through the water with a GoPro. Tried it before. I bought an extending aluminium tree lopper pole and cable tied the GoPro to the end of that - light and extends to 3m.

Many thanks for the replies so far guys,... I'm trying to get some advice from the pro,s regarding poles etc as none of the advertised accessories seem suitable.
Probably have to be a diy job.
Any tips welcome.:D

After two years talking about getting one and the last three hours scratching my head at the sheer choice I've plumped for this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKASO-EK50...rd_wg=CpjPJ&psc=1&refRID=5AD6W8P1SYED3JZ1RF61

Seems ok at £50, reviews pretty good and two batteries is a bonus. Got an accessories kit off eBay for £12.30 which has the chest harness, head harness etc.
All the ones around that price are near enough the same product with different names.
For the money they are bang on.

Back