• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

under water cormorants

Graham Billingham

Fished a swim today and after 10 minutes a cormorant surfaced,:eek:didn't see it go in so does anyone know how long they can stay under water.

I was walking a stretch of the Kennet in the close season and 'annoyed' a cormorant that was just downstream. Rather than fly off, it dived under and popped up again 50-60 yards on. It swam under water very quickly and kept this up for about a mile. When I finally caught up with it by the bridge, it made an extra big dive back upstream. Fast underwater but I don't know why it didn't just take take to the air - I would've if I could fly - I guess they're most comfortable in the water. I hate the buggers but I had to admire it's speed and well, cheek.

To relieve the boredom of sunbathing on my holidays in the Med I do a spot of sea fishing, and have done for 30 years....it is generally rubbish by the way. Cormorants are quite common and although I suppose someone will tell me they are a different sub species to those we get here, they look the same to me. The first time I saw one under water it frightened the life out of me as it suddenly appeared under my feet amongst the rocks, I had not seen it go under the water. What amazes is me is that it isn't a bird that just dives down and grabs hold of something, it swims along looking for prey. It can swim along and stop and inspect every nook and cranny along a rock face, it will stick its beak into every hole, stop pull back, have another look, drop down a foot have a look in the next hole, come up, look behind another rock.Until I saw it the first time I presumed that diving birds went under, chased a shoal or individual until they ran out of breath and if a fish saw them coming they could hide until the coast is clear. With a Cormorant if they hide they're toast, it will swim down and around and inspect every hidey hole.

I was walking a stretch of the Kennet in the close season and 'annoyed' a cormorant that was just downstream. Rather than fly off, it dived under and popped up again 50-60 yards on. It swam under water very quickly and kept this up for about a mile. When I finally caught up with it by the bridge, it made an extra big dive back upstream. Fast underwater but I don't know why it didn't just take take to the air - I would've if I could fly - I guess they're most comfortable in the water. I hate the buggers but I had to admire it's speed and well, cheek.

Its possible it didn't take off because it was full of fish.
I once disturbed one down a dead arm of a reservoir - it regurgitated its stomach contents so it could fly away.
I counted the roach & perch fry that were left behind - there were 50 :eek:

Its possible it didn't take off because it was full of fish.
I once disturbed one down a dead arm of a reservoir - it regurgitated its stomach contents so it could fly away.
I counted the roach & perch fry that were left behind - there were 50

Yes that's the alarming factor; a 1LB of fish a day as an average I heard. That's an awful lot of small fish gone out of the system from one cormorant let alone the gangs of them hanging around on some lakes and rivers. That's why I was 'annoying' the bugger! Without the anglers about in the close season it's a paradise for them.

Back