• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Twin tip rods

My thoughts exactly Richard, I don't see the point of any quiver tip on a dedicated barbel rod, we're all aware of the bite from a barbel!
Yet there must be a market for them as manufacturers still keep producing them.
My first barbel rod was a John Wilson, which came with all the quiver tips and an Avon section. Soon enough I stopped using the quivers, shortly after that stopped using the rod altogether as it was useless for casting anything over a couple of ounces.
My mate who's after new rods still only has one of these and struggled with a high river Wye last week, hence he's looking to upgrade.
If I'm fishing for chub etc I'll just use my Drennan Avon.

My thoughts exactly Richard, I don't see the point of any quiver tip on a dedicated barbel rod, we're all aware of the bite from a barbel!
Yet there must be a market for them as manufacturers still keep producing them.
My first barbel rod was a John Wilson, which came with all the quiver tips and an Avon section. Soon enough I stopped using the quivers, shortly after that stopped using the rod altogether as it was useless for casting anything over a couple of ounces.
My mate who's after new rods still only has one of these and struggled with a high river Wye last week, hence he's looking to upgrade.
If I'm fishing for chub etc I'll just use my Drennan Avon.
I actually can see the point of the quiver tip section on lighter (1.25-1.75) barbel rods if your using the rod for non 3ft twitch species in situations where a quiver tips sensitivity might be useful. Hence the reason I had 2 built for my lighter custom 1.5 barbel rod. I like to use it for chubbing and perching with light leads and big baits in winter. The GTX while powerful it’s very soft too and because the quiver tips are very long and specced for and spliced into the blank there is very little noticeable hinge point in the action which I’d say probably goes for most lighter barbel rods with quiver sections. Over 1.75 and we are talking much stiffer more powerful rods designed with heavier water in mind. You’d need a hell of a quiver tip to retain that rod action I’d say especially on something like a 2.25 I don’t think it would be very nice to use.

There was a pair of original Korum neotoric twin tip on ebay for 149.

I was watching and they were unsold.

But I have the guys tag if anyone is interested

Rhys I think a nice upgrade for your mate for fishing the Wye would simply be a couple of more powerful barbel rods as you originally suggested. If he’s got a John Wilson Avon rod with quiver tips then he’s well covered already for when a quiver tip moment arises. I’d imagine He’s not planning to be using a quiver tip for heavy water barbel fishing on the Wye despite the rod capability’s so it makes more sense to keep the two types of fishing separated between two rod types.

Harrison Torrix 1.25 12' Twin Tip with taper plug in quivers and bigger eyes. Glass or carbon tips. Naughty, expensive but nice. Have 1.5 and 1.75 twin tip versions for heavier work.

I always try to make my quiver tips with a common taper joint between rods. Length, material, test curve and guides can vary.

Last edited:
That's an option Richard,
Rhys I think a nice upgrade for your mate for fishing the Wye would simply be a couple of more powerful barbel rods as you originally suggested. If he’s got a John Wilson Avon rod with quiver tips then he’s well covered already for when a quiver tip moment arises. I’d imagine He’s not planning to be using a quiver tip for heavy water barbel fishing on the Wye despite the rod capability’s so it makes more sense to keep the two types of fishing separated between two rod types.

That's an option Richard. We usually fish the Severn but planning a trip to the Trent next year, so the idea was a twin tip to cover both. But I guess a 2lb rod would do that, I use greys prodigy 2lb to cover pretty much all my barbel fishing, I've a 1.5lb tip also but don't feel the need to use it anymore.

Harrison Torrix 1.25 12' Twin Tip with taper plug in quivers and bigger eyes. Glass or carbon tips. Naughty, expensive but nice. Have 1.5 and 1.75 twin tip versions for heavier work.
View attachment 9068

I always try to make my quiver tips with a common taper joint between rods. Length, material, test curve and guides can vary.
Beautiful work Bob. I’ve not seen a burgundy red reel seat before and I have to say I really like that.

View attachment 9068

Hi Bob/ all,

Any idea where I might be able to get my hands on a Harrison Torrix 1.25 twin tip? Have had a google but don’t seem to be able to find them listed anywhere

Cheers
Stuart

Hi Bob/ all,

Any idea where I might be able to get my hands on a Harrison Torrix 1.25 twin tip? Have had a google but don’t seem to be able to find them listed anywhere

Cheers
Stuart
Your only 2 options with a torrix Stuart are second hand (one that’s already been built) or have a new one built.
All the top rod builders nowadays build flawless custom rods and a lot of them make twin tops.
I’m looking to have the Harrison 11 foot 2 piece Avon rod built this closed season with twin tops.
I’ve spoke to a builder who told me it works extremely well with one of the top sections installed with 2 oz spliced tip. Should Be a cracking chub and perch tool.
If you do find torrixs on the shelf they usually come in standard form. (2 piece, Avon/barbel top)

Thanks Richard, sounds like we’re after the same thing! And yes, that’s exactly what I was finding with off the shelf options.

I do like the idea of the 2oz spliced tip, as this tends to be the weight of tip I use most often. Any idea how well balanced it would be on an 11’ 1.25?

Also, not sure about you, but the custom build would allow me the choice of eye configuration. Given that this most likely won’t be used for barbel, a more traditional (if that’s the right word?) Avon-style eye pattern might feel nicer? What do you think?

Thanks Richard, sounds like we’re after the same thing! And yes, that’s exactly what I was finding with off the shelf options.

I do like the idea of the 2oz spliced tip, as this tends to be the weight of tip I use most often. Any idea how well balanced it would be on an 11’ 1.25?

Also, not sure about you, but the custom build would allow me the choice of eye configuration. Given that this most likely won’t be used for barbel, a more traditional (if that’s the right word?) Avon-style eye pattern might feel nicer? What do you think?
A good builder will put on the eyes you want in the configuration you want providing they also believe it’s not going to effect the rod in a negative way.
I can’t say what tip will work best with the torrix 1.25 as I’ve never had one. @Bob Gill is your expert here.
I personally don’t like interchangeable quiver tips on rods. In my opinion they are nearly always too short and out of the usual 3 or 4 you normally get with a rod there is usually only 1 that Really works well with the rods action so I like the real long solid carbon tips spliced, specced and built into the rod to suit the blank action.
ive got a peregrine GTx which was susposed to be sold but never happened. It’s got 3 sections. An Avon top and 2 sections with long quivers spliced into the blank that’s 1.5lb and the quivers are approximately 2.5 and 3.0 oz but the clever thing is the tips are slightly different lengths and spliced in different places so the rod action doesn’t get compromised with either one. It bends in a lovely arc and no horrible hinge points.
the torrix is a gorgeous rod and it sounds like it could be a beautiful quiver tip rod for chubbing and perch.
it certainly wouldn’t be a disaster to hook barbel on either. Torrixs are known for their reserve power in the butt.

That’s really helpful Richard, thank you. You’ve basically confirmed everything I was thinking, but didn’t really know for sure.

I have a pair of 2lb torrixs, which I really like, hence wanting to go down the same route but in a lighter setup.

So sounds like I need a rod builder! And possibly a slush fund that the wife won’t find out about 😂 Any recommendations from anyone? For the rod builder, not the slush fund ideas 😉

I’ve used 3 builders in the past and it pretty much confirms my thoughts that they are all equally brilliant at what they do.
People say some are better than others but it’s usually nonsense based more down to loyalty than actual product quality.
I struggle to understand how it is possible in the professional league of builders when they all make flawless rods exactly to your specification.
ive used Dave lumb, Mark Tunley and roger Mccortney for my Harrison builds in the past and I’ve seen quite a lot of bob gill and Vic Gibson rods too.
every single one of them true craftsmen. Artists if you like. I would recommend any of them to provide exactly what you want.

I will confirm quality of Peregrine rods, I have an 11ft gti 1.75 which is my go to rod on the Ouse and a 1.75 gtx I use when waters up a little. Plus a 4 piece Avon...all of them quality and Roger gave invaluable advice without any sales pitch!

His turn round time is usually very good too as he keeps a lot of the blanks in stock.
my GTx was in my possession inside of 3 weeks from order.

Hi Bob/ all,

Cheers
Stuart
Hi Stuart, Apologies must have missed this one.
On occasions used to buy an extra tip from Harrison if required by the customer. Found this useful when the blank set was tinted - you stand more chance of getting a matching colour to the butt. Having said that, Harrison were always good at matching the colour when purchasing a spare section sometime in the future. Harrison have reduced the number of colours available in the last few years, which is a shame but understandable.

The Torrix 1.25 12' is a lovely blank which is thinner than Torrix 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0lb test. The 1.25 has a fast tip and powerful butt section. It's generally said that the butt section of the 1.25 feels more powerful than the 1.5 due to the construction. (The 1.5 uses the same mandrel as the 1.75, 2.0)

The picture doesn't show it very well, but here are the two alongside. The chestnut brown with the brown whippings is the 1.25, the ultra matt with the grey whippings, the 1.5. Edit - Just noticed that I used different sized graphics on the two rods (larger on the 1.5 test rod) not helping any visual comparison with regard to the diameter.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Bob

Back