• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

trying for !st catfish

Wayne Laws

going to give catching my first catfish a bash. Not allowed to use deadbaits because of pike. was assuming hair-rigged large pellet or luncheon meat. Any tips on length of hair/ prebaiting etc would help.
Many thanks.

try a leech, not cheap, but cats love em and is about the only fish they will eat them.

A cheaper alternative to leeches is a big bunch of lobs, although perch can be a pain during the day. Of the 3 cats I have caught, 2 were on a big bunch of worms, suspended just under the surface at night.

Wayne, if it is a carp water, the best bait will be whatever boilies are regularly used, the cats will recognise them above anything else. Failing that a big bunch of lobs about 6 inches below the surface (the catfish pro worm and leech rigs come in handy for this, easily made yourself with some stiff tube and a couple of foam balls) work wonders but perch during the day and bream at night can be a pain...........

Went last night , two dropped runs , one on meat the other on two 20 mm pellets. Will try again , and add worms to my armory , only runs on the lake , maybe a bit cold still ! Many thanks for ideas.

Any carp in there ?

Missed runs could of been from carp Wayne, had that a few times :rolleyes: gets the old ticker going i can tell you :eek:

Went last night , two dropped runs , one on meat the other on two 20 mm pellets. Will try again , and add worms to my armory , only runs on the lake , maybe a bit cold still ! Many thanks for ideas.
make sure you minimize any resistance's if your not already.

sucess !!! 37lb of wells catfish , freelined 26mm boille with a flying backlead slack line and open bail arm , well pleased.

Back