• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trundling/Rolling meat, The works.

This tungsten sheet , just how flexible is it ? Does it have sharp edges once cut ? price wise I would suggest it is very good value for money and I shall buy some and use it
over the next few weeks and leave a review. Cheers

It is very flexible, and used extensively for 1000's of 'Czech-nymph' trout and grayling flies tied on hooks down to a 16. When used in making the latter, the 'spiral-wound' sheet is then covered or 'whipped-over' with 6/0 flytying thread. However I suggest you use the Epoxy-Method (which I suggested in a previous post on this thread) as it is much more hard wearing, functional and neat to look at. A tenner for the Tungsten + the Epoxy will see you equipped for the next decade with weighted rolling hooks! Enjoy!!!

Many thanks for that Simon , I have placed my order and hopefully be able to use it by next week , I will email you if I need any further help .

could a flour based paste be used in place of plasticine to roll meat? I appreciate that plasticine is non toxic, but if it comes off it will just sit on the river bed and not bio-degrade or will it?

Lewis Newpast plasticine is 'non toxic' and will break down over time in the river and in the dry. If you add some fine sand or small bits of gravel to it, it will increase it's weight also ...and will break down quicker.

Does the colour of the plasticine matter - or is it like Bob Roberts' famous blue toy? I.e. the fish aren't spooked by an unusual object/colour as it doesn't look like fishing tackle.

Good thread this, I myself will be trying to get to grips with this method next season on the Wye. I know most people reccomend to use braid for this type of fishing but thats probally not a good idea on some of the waters i fish, would i be affecting the presentation by using a mono leader or would I be better off using the mono straight thru?

Last edited:
The colour depends really on your own confidence. The different colours can be mixed to suit the colour of your riverbed, ie: greens/weed and darkbrown/light brown to mimic stones and gravel. Even a hint of terracotta colour to suit the more red coloured Teme at times etc. A mixed Black over darker silt if you ar static fishing as well. Mixing creates a mottled/camo effect to suit the riverbed and surrounds, as well as adding gravel or heavier natural stones to get the bait down quicker. Grass or weed can also be added to the plasticine.
I don't use bright colours like all blue or other but more of the subtle riverbed colour to blend in.

Example pic with other weights such as heavy metal and non toxic shot.
weightsplast8.jpg

Last edited:
Just brousing through this post someone mentioned .06gr up to 28gr in lead is illegal, but if it's a fixed part of a componet such as a feeder or hook it's legal to use in those sizes.
graham

Been trying to find the Dean Macey/ Ray Walton episode of On Coarse (believe that's what it was called) on YouTube but to no avail.

Anyone got the link as i would like to see Ray's method again? Watched the link posted of the old C4 show but thought the Dean Macey show was better and more informative.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Been trying to find the Dean Macey/ Ray Walton episode of On Coarse (believe that's what it was called) on YouTube but to no avail.

Anyone got the link as i would like to see Ray's method again? Watched the link posted of the old C4 show but thought the Dean Macey show was better and more informative.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

They released the series on DVD so you might not find it on Youtube....Yet.
There is a basic 13,000 word chapter in the book Big Barbel - Bonded by the challenge edited by Bob Church which will give you an insight to the Roving and Rolling Method.
I am currently updating and editing the words for my own first book on the method, which will be more in depth on the subject, with info I have never included before.
If all goes well it should be finished by the end of the summer, and then followed by another 2 books relating to everything barbel.
The Lewis Newplast plasticine does break down after a while to where it either dries out turning to dust on land or eventually breaks down in the water.
By adding fine sand or bits of gravel, you can double its weight/make it more dense and heavier if necessary. ...Ray

Last edited:
Ray,

I've always thought that a book on the subject by yourself was long overdue....will be having a copy of that when it comes out :)

As a method it is something that I've done a bit of with a bit of success and plan to do more of this time round - I've said that for the past 3 close seasons that I can remember !!! but I'm determined this time to give it a whirl ;)

Paul

Cheers for that Ray, i'll keep an eye out for your book.

Paul, sounds the same as me. Good intentions but always seem to revert back to what i know. Getting bored of the sit and wait tactics though and fancy searching out a few new areas, getting away from the crowds.

Trevor

A well written and informative article. Many thanks. I presume no problem with the hook pulling out of the meat on the strike? Any truth in that this technique tends to be more successful with the smaller fish?

Worth another read from four years ago,excellent advice.

Holy thread resurrection batman!

Loads more folk seem to be trying this method at the moment and I thought I would bring this thread back from the past as I found it very informative
FWIW I have had some great times doing this the past two seasons
I have also found that a drilled oval bullet above the hook and I mean on top of the meat made no difference to catching - it looks a crude rig and my watercraft and rig tying skills say this shouldn't work but it did !

Never really brought this into effect with my fishing so I thought I would get this thread rolling again.
Ray Walton uses a long shank hook anyone any idea which type. Also does a straight point work better.

Back