• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trout on the upper severn

Someone i know ( not a friend ) has said he's been fishing on the upper Severn for Trout on worms :eek: Is this allowed before june 16th

Lee

I believe it is - if the correct method is used:-

Pg 10 - http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/pdf/GEWA0310BSGO-e-e.pdf

Rivers - non-migratory trout:
There are no byelaw restrictions on the use of baits in rivers, EXECPT:

groundbait or feeder bait is not allowed at any time;

maggots, pupae or non-aquatic larvae are not allowed (except within the Gwynedd Fisheries District where it is permissible to fish with maggots if they are used in conjunction with artificial fly when fishing between one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise);

only natural earthworm or artificial fly may be used within the Usk Fisheries District;

in Upper Severn Area during the coarse fish close season no floats may be used and only artificial or natural flies, lures, minnows, worms, prawns or shrimps may be used as bait.

Last edited:
You also need to check club rules as static downstream legering with a worm is often banned (and should be). Upstream worming is a recognised technique for Trout and Salmon. Although not really the best technique for catch and release (especially with Salmon) and this time of the year on the upper Severn is really going to need a migratory license as you would obviously be after salmon (at least as far as any bailiff is concerned). Why not get a fly rod out and do it the right way? If you just want trout for the pot, I recommend Sainsburys, if you want some sport I recommend fly fishing. If it is just a "hidden" way of beating the coarse fishing close season, then it is all down to your own values about such things.Personally I would bring back the cat for poachers.

Last edited:
Well said, Pete. Trout are well worth trying for - properly, with fly. Baitfishing for them brings to mind the old ducks, shooting and barrels adage. In addition, you will learn a lot about rivers, fish and fishing that no amount of wormdrowning will teach you if you take a bit of time and master the fly.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers sorry if i have

going to look into getting a fly rod, then i might have a look at the upper Severn.

When is the best time of year for the Trout Pete

Lee

As Paul says it is indeed now. Although perhaps late May, early June (usually referred to as duffers fortnight!) is actually the easiest...even I catch a few then!).
Different rivers are best at different times, but if they have a May Fly hatch then when ever that is is the absolute best time for catching.
However, what I am sure Paul is referring to, is that now is one of the nicest times to be on the river. Particularity those small feeder rivers onto which you never venture as a Barbel man, These rivers are beautiful in spring and easiest to fish as the trees are not so overgrown that every fly ends up in one rather than on the water!
Stalking a rising fish, on a little stream. Casting a fly to it..this is just what fishing is all about to me.
I was out yesterday and only managed one fish during a very brief lunch time hatch. The fish was about 8 " long as a beautiful, wild brown trout...without a name, never seen a pond and never been caught before.
I then sat and watched dippers catching flies out on a rock I had been fishing from.
I like to travel light and to move around when Barbel fishing and this is even better with trout. A 7' 6" 3 wt rod, a box of Gray dusters, a net and that is about it.
Fish spotting and learning fish behaviour are all parts of this and all transferable to Barbel angling. I am always surprised to find so many Barbel anglers deserting the rivers this time of year...not me.

Back