• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting?

BTW .... unless I'm being lazy, to re-bait when rolling meat, or using ledgered big meat, I disconnect my hooklink and pass it loop* first through my bait and slide the meat down the line, so the hook enters the meat eye first. It stays on much longer that way.
*I used to connect my meat-rolling hooklinks via a straightforward figure 8 loop, but now use a very small teardrop ring (to cut down on/cut out potential line crimping)
I know I'm 'preaching' mostly to 'the converted' here on BFW ;)

BTW .... unless I'm being lazy, to re-bait when rolling meat, or using ledgered big meat, I disconnect my hooklink and pass it loop* first through my bait and slide the meat down the line, so the hook enters the meat eye first. It stays on much longer that way.
*I used to connect my meat-rolling hooklinks via a straightforward figure 8 loop, but now use a very small teardrop ring (to cut down on/cut out potential line crimping)
I know I'm 'preaching' mostly to 'the converted' here on BFW ;)
Yeah, no need to disconnect me ole son, just pull your hook through with the needle and give it a quarter turn with a bit of stalk under the bend and pull it back in....doddle.

.....but with wide gape leaded hooks (we're talking about rolling meat here), pulling a big hook, bend-first, through the meat can split it
This is getting a bit too technical for me I reckon, I just use a decent quality 10 or 8 , don't know much about the leaded business.

Yeah, no need to disconnect me ole son, just pull your hook through with the needle and give it a quarter turn with a bit of stalk under the bend and pull it back in....doddle.
Yeah that’s all I do. It will only split if the hooks too big. Stays on just fine with a 1/4 turn and pulled back.

Back