• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting very heavy streamer!

I've loaded my pin with the armour needed to bank my first barbel on float! My question is, what is the best way to hide the tip of my hook so I dont get caught in on the weed.

I'm going to use maggots on a size 14 or 16. Then tip the hook with a caster. So when I strike will I still get a clean hook? Will this work?

Thanks

The best way is to bury the hook completely in a piece of meat, grain of sweetcorn or a hookable pellet. You will still be catching up in heavy weed but probably a lot less than if using maggots on an open hook, even if tipped with a caster.

A tried and tested matchman technique is to bury your hook inside a caster. I've not applied this approach in the circumstances you describe but it's served me well when pole fishing on the cut. The main disadvantage I can see is the small nature of the bait and an inability to be somewhat selective.

Fishing heavy streamer rivers I tend to actually cast over any tail of weed and hold it back with the line caught up on the weed.

Not exactly trotting but very effective.

Feeding the river line upstream means the fish will work their way under cover to you.

You will still have the benefit of fishing with the float tackle you want without disturbing the weed and swim downstream with weed hookups.

Back