• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting rods for Chub

Richard Frissen

Hi all - can anyone recommend a rod for trotting - ideally 14/15ft to use with lines around 6lb BS

I know its a long shot but would like them to be a 2 piece (yes I know they would be 7 & 7.5 ft sections)

I would ideally like to leave the rod set up between sessions

Cheers for any help in advance!

Your be very lucky to find a 2 piece 14-15ft rod as most are in 3 or 4 sections .

You may have to bite the bullet and go for a 3 piece Richard , which isn't to bad when it's set up and stored ready for next time ;)

Cheers - I thought it might be a long shot - I will give Greys a ring and see if its possible

Probably a mortgage job though :)

i use a 14 foot Daiwa spectron for barbel in the summer, it more than doubles up as a chub rod this winter. Very light, well balanced suitable for lines 3 to 10lbs and you can holc it all day.
Pricey but i wouldnt swap for another.

Cheers - I thought it might be a long shot - I will give Greys a ring and see if its possible

Probably a mortgage job though :)

That was one of the first rods i looked at Richard, but at £400 it's a bit much just for chub :(

You should have plenty of other options thou ;)

Preston Innovations do a cracking range of rods. I have a C series but they do an Excel range that may be worth a look. I have the 12ft C series power waggler and use it for bream, chub and commercial carp as well as trotting for chub and it's spot on. I think the Excel range do the longer versions of what looks to be pretty much the same rod.

The largest 2 piece I have come across is the new Drennan Tench and Specimen float. Breaks down to 2 x 6ft 1.5" sections with a 1ft detachable butt section making 13ft when put together. I have one and really like it I use it for all my float fishing cracking piece of kit but may well be a little bit on the small side for you I compromised so I could fit it in my quiver.

I have been using G-Tec 13ft Power float rod on River Dane for chub, dace & roach. It's not over gunned but has loads of power if bigger fish come along.

Hi Richard,

I agree with the Drennan suggestion, I've been using various 13ft Drennan float rods for the past three years and they've stood up really well to river trotting for chub. In fact practically all my rods are Drennan these days. They do make a 14 ft variant, but I have the sneaky suspicion they're three piece. The Drennan Tench rod is very well respected, its certainly one I'd like to add to my humble collection in the future.

I believe Korum Neoteric float rods were two piece...but I have the sneaky feeling they were 12ft. I could be wrong there...

Aaron

Back