• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting rod for Barbel

Ben Marr

As the title, just wondering what rod people recommend for trotting for Barbel?
I'll be fishing the Wye, mainly.
Cheers
Ben

So much depends on the individual. There are some out there that would barely contemplate fishing for barbel with rods much lighter than the lighter TC barbel rods (1.5lb). Others will prefer to use the beefier end of the float rod spectrum. Then there are some that use little more than fairly average match rods. I'd never dream of using a barbel type rod, but I did certainly favour heavy float rods. However, in the last few years, I've been using increasingly light float rods for tench, big carp and barbel. I've had far fewer problems in doing so than I ever imagined. Provided you avoid really light (actioned) rods, don't kick the pants out of the line ratings, and don't try to rush things, it's surprising just how well fairly average float rods cope with big fish. The times I'd still favour the beefier float rods are in snag pits.

Ben. Although I am happy that my Marksman float rods can cope with carp over 20lb on lakes, for the Wye, especially rocky sections, I would go for one of the beefier float rods mentioned.

Simply because keeping the barbels head up a bit when playing and preventing over long runs that are likely to take the line around a rock.

Minimum 6lb line I would suggest.

I use 9.1 for added protection and abrasion resistance.

Other cleaner pure gravel rivers or silt based not so much of a problem

Hi guys interesting read. Ive had a Browning power carp match which has been amazing 14 or 16ft. Got a question about the acolyte? Looking them up the reel lines are only recommended to 6lb from what i can see? Is this the case? Also preferred using a
Longer rod now for a while. What length do people go for? Thanks hope this is ok tight it was relevant

Got a question about the acolyte? Looking them up the reel lines are only recommended to 6lb from what i can see? Is this the case?

Acolyte Pluses are rated for "Reel Lines 4lb to 6lb+, hooklengths 3lb to 5lb". What exactly the "6lb+" means is open to interpretation. I own Acolyte Pluses and Ultras in various lengths. For quite some time I held the belief that the Acolyte Plus wasn't really beefy enough for deliberately targeting barbel. However, knowing someone that positively batters barbel out on his 14' Acolyte Plus, I'm not quite as positive about than now. The only thing that still has me wary is knowing that he gives most of his rods far more stick than I do.

Also preferred using a Longer rod now for a while. What length do people go for? Thanks hope this is ok tight it was relevant

I love using long rods. However, I've yet to find a rod longer than 15'6" that I thought man enough to cope with barbel while remaining light enough to hold for the extended periods requisite for trotting.

Thanks Chris i think if the main line and hook length are balanced rods cope remarkably well. The Browning power carp match 14/16ft ive got is great. Although looking into the idea of a acolyte. I also have a map patabolix 15ft float rod which is very good but reel lines to 5lb. Caught a 12lb plus carp on it before crimbo with 4lb main line no issues. Modern rods are so good now. Hope mine gets tested overt the weekend. First time on the wye since June

I initially thought my Acolyte plus 13' wouldn't cope with Barbel but have landed quite a few with it and now don't feel the need for anything heavier.
Having said that, if I was specifically targeting Barbel rather than whatever comes along I'd be using my old Drennan super Tench float which is superb and rated for heavier lines. Good with small stuff too. I've had Salmon to 18lb, deliberately, on it, no problem.
The 17' Acolyte, I've waggled one in a shop, seems brilliant.

The 17' Acolyte, I've waggled one in a shop, seems brilliant.

Slightly strange action. Relatively small fish put quite a bend in it, but it copes better than I expected with decent fish. I wouldn't be too keen to tangle with a barbel on it. For a 17' rod, the weight and balance are incredible.

Another 17 footer in the mix and rated 10lb line. Daiwa connoisseur 17/20.. caught my first river trent Barbel on this. And another first was using a cralusso surf float. Bait was uellow peril....corn.

Slightly strange action. Relatively small fish put quite a bend in it, but it copes better than I expected with decent fish. I wouldn't be too keen to tangle with a barbel on it. For a 17' rod, the weight and balance are incredible.
Similar to my experience with my 13' Acolyte plus.
At first I thought it couldn't possibly cope with Barbel, being so great with silvers, then one day I landed 5 Barbel to nearly 10lb, needing to keep them from burying themselves in some tree roots on the upper Lea.
The power in the lower rod is phenomenal, while the top section remains very sensitive. Playing small fish is a pleasure, likewise lumps.

Similar to my experience with my 13' Acolyte plus.
At first I thought it couldn't possibly cope with Barbel, being so great with silvers, then one day I landed 5 Barbel to nearly 10lb, needing to keep them from burying themselves in some tree roots on the upper Lea.
The power in the lower rod is phenomenal, while the top section remains very sensitive. Playing small fish is a pleasure, likewise lumps.

Just don't go thinking that the action of the 17' Acolyte is like the normal 13/14/15 Pluses or Ultras. Definitely deceptively powerful, but it takes on a totally different curve under pressure.

Just taken delivery of the 13ft Acolyte Plus. Have taken a few chub up to 4lb in snaggy swims and the rod has been a pleasure to use - power but sensitivity and perfectly matches my Youngs Centrepin. If I am lucky enough to hook a barbel I am sure it will cope with it.

Steve

Back