• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting Reel - C'Pin, Closed Face or Fixed

Are you a Nottingham or Wallis cast man ?
Both and more including "The Danger Cast" - a danger to anyone other than myself within 30m - I "perfected" :rolleyes: it when casting to the far bank of the Ure.

I pretty much always trot with a pin by the way, an Adcock Stanton being my weapon of choice :cool:

While I would tend to agree that Shimano rear drag reels don't necessarily have the best of drags, if they are that bad then they probably need a service. However, there are umpteen front drag Shimano reels. There's even been one with both front and rear in one package. Clicky.
my 5k XTEA has a perfect clutch, no clicking or snatching here,
i did have a newer Mitchell 300x pro a while back and front clutch was useless.

And talking of clutches, there's a big advantage of the centrepin. Nothing's so easy as applying a little pressure (or a lot) to the rim of the drum. Playing a barbel on a 'pin gets the endorphins pumping round the body. Exciting stuff. IMO a fixed spool doesn't have the same draw. Nothing to do with sentimentality or old-fashioned thinking - I'm a recent convert.

And talking of clutches, there's a big advantage of the centrepin. Nothing's so easy as applying a little pressure (or a lot) to the rim of the drum. Playing a barbel on a 'pin gets the endorphins pumping round the body. Exciting stuff.

The opposite side of that same coin would be that it's inconsistent, inexact etc, etc.;)

Shimano Catana

If you're on a budget, the Shimano Catana is a very smooth front drag reel, ideal for trotting for barbel. Go for arounbd £33. Yes they are red, but who cares ?

Nick C

I use the Preston PXR Power 5000, loads of grunt:D
Falcon tackle bout 75 quid

I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would trott with anything other than a pin. Cant cast? then learn.

Crooky, you old bait layer, no bite from me re Mitchells and 55/54's.;)

I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would trott with anything other than a pin. Cant cast? then learn.

Crooky, you old bait layer, no bite from me re Mitchells and 55/54's.;)

Tony Two Canes - The perfect example of a sentimental angler, and hats off to you mate, I never said there was anything wrong with it, no point living in a county without electricity or running water and using 21st century gear :D

Hope you are keeping well mate

I did but found that, for me, it wasn't worth the time and effort.
I know this obviously comes as a surprise to some folks but, just because something suits them and their style of fishing, doesn't mean it suits everyone.

Well each to their own Chris, you like what you like.

Personally I can't see how the presentation achieved when trotting with a pin can be matched with a fixed spool or a closed face but as with all things it aint the tackle that catches the fish.......... Just as well really or I would be stuffed.

Mark, be happy to show you sometime.

Well each to their own Chris, you like what you like.

Personally I can't see how the presentation achieved when trotting with a pin can be matched with a fixed spool or a closed face but as with all things it aint the tackle that catches the fish.......... Just as well really or I would be stuffed.

Mark, be happy to show you sometime.

It can't, it's the only concession that I'll make in regards to centrepins. The control/presentation is the best. Shame that the other negatives outweigh those advantages, for me.

Back