• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting Reel - C'Pin, Closed Face or Fixed

I use 2 Shimano Technium 6000 FB's for all my float fishing on the Trent, I tried a few others but they all lacked in power, funnily enough they were all 4000 size and smaller, I am not saying all 4000 sized reels lack power just the ones I used. Spro Red Arc, Daiwa 2500CU and a shimano which I cant remember but it was just below a Stradic.
Closed face reels are OK for silvers and maybe Chub using light lines, but not for Barbel....Well I wouldnt dare use one on the Trent as some single runs go 15 to 20 yds before you can stop them and thats on 8lb line.
Not a Centrepin user but had a dabble, Now if all rivers were about 10 yds wide with a nice steady flow and the wind direction coming upstream, then yes I would fish for Barbel on a pin. Sadly my regular river isnt.

Jon

Not a criticism Jon , but what do you mean when you say these reels' 'lack power '' ?

Although very useful in windy conditions , I do not feel that a close faced reel is a useable tool if you are after big fish like barbel and chub , it is simply too difficult to control powerful runs using these reels particularly in ' tight ' swims . High risk of snap ups in my opinion . As for fixed spool or centre pin , I think it is personal choice/ confidence thing . I would use a Speedia pin , if you want new, try one of the Okuma range which are nice . Fixed spool wise , there a hundreds . In the second hand area I would use a Mitchell match or Mitchell otomatic both of which have the dab bail arm facility and are popular old school trotting tools

I cannot imagine using a fixed spool reel for trotting. I have an old Rapidex 4 and a Speedia. Really don't see the need for anything else but there again I am not a match fisherman.

Hugo

Get away with you Mr Arnott . If they ressurected those gudgeon fishing matches on the Thames , I bet you would be down there with your trusty Ambidex strapped to your Spanish Reed long rod trotting the midstream :D

Last edited:
Hi Chaps

While it is very gratifying that I might be considered to give tuition it is not something I have ever done.
I do run a stick float clinic for members of the Verulam Angling Club, but this is a “free to members†day and not open to all.

However, over the years I have had the odd request from time to time and recently these requests to show how I fish for Barbel on the float have become more frequent, so much so that I am considering offering this as a service

If, and at the moment it is a big “IFâ€, I do decide to go down this road, I would like to make sure that I have done all the preparation that I can to ensure my “customers†would have an enjoyable experience, in short I would want to prepare properly and “get it right†and if I do go ahead it will start next season.

That is of course assuming it will still be something that is of interest?

It seems Adam that you live not to far away from the Oxford area, I believe The Trout Inn, near to Rushey weir used to sell day tickets, I have not fished there for years, so perhaps we could meet up and have a little session, not to sure of the Barbel populations, but there was always a decent head of Chub?

Just a thought!

Get away with you Mr Arnott . If they ressurected those gudgeon fishing matches on the Thames , I bet you would be down there with your trusty Ambidex strapped to your Spanish Reed long rod trotting the midstream :D

Curses! I had forgotten about my beloved Ambidex! I feel like a broken reed!

As ever

Hugo

Not a criticism Jon , but what do you mean when you say these reels' 'lack power '' ?
Hi Mike, by this "lack of power" the reel just tightens up, and is difficult to wind, little like the coffee grinder saying.

Hi Mike, by this "lack of power" the reel just tightens up, and is difficult to wind, little like the coffee grinder saying.

Interesting Jon . Apart from some very low tech / starter model Shakespeare fixed spools that I bought for my son when he started fishing I have never come across this problem . I am very much old school with regard to fixed spool reels using the mitchell 300 / 400 models and there variants . They are in my view super robust , well enginereed , and not too bulky , if well lubricated they will last a lifetime , I regularly use 300's that are 40 + years old and are as stilllas good as new .Bail arm springs can become weak after considerable hammer but are easy to replace , the ' clutches ' are a little basic but are all I need . ABU Cardinal 54's are also very good all rounders and they have what many regard as the best clutch of any reel of that size

Interesting Jon . Apart from some very low tech / starter model Shakespeare fixed spools that I bought for my son when he started fishing I have never come across this problem . I am very much old school with regard to fixed spool reels using the mitchell 300 / 400 models and there variants . They are in my view super robust , well enginereed , and not too bulky , if well lubricated they will last a lifetime , I regularly use 300's that are 40 + years old and are as stilllas good as new .Bail arm springs can become weak after considerable hammer but are easy to replace , the ' clutches ' are a little basic but are all I need . ABU Cardinal 54's are also very good all rounders and they have what many regard as the best clutch of any reel of that size

A big thumbs up for the old Mitchell's I managed to get a 440a that was used once for £10 with spare spool and case, was brilliant for trotting with flick bail arm.

Mitchell reels were very good in their day, i.e. the 1970's, I had quite a number and loved them, including 300, 440a match, etc........ However, let's not get carried away, the clutches were next to useless, even with the washing line strength line we used then, backwinding being an absolute necessity when playing anything of any size. Cardinal 54 had a much better clutch, for the 1970's, however, none are a patch, engineering or functionality wise on modern Shimano front drag reels and that is a fact, not an opinion.

The only possible reasons anyone could have to use either old mitchels or old cardinals is sentimentality, nothing more than that!!!

Why people listen to recommendations of this old tat is beyond me, utter rubbish!!

I hope anyone who listens enjoys taking the spool off in the middle of playing that fish of a lifetime and trying to untangle the mess wrapped around the shaft of their lovely mitchell :)

Yes, you could trot with them, I used to love the finger dab bail arm on my match but totally unnecessary, if you want a proper fixed spool for trotting, look at something like a Shimano Seido for example, you won't reget it.

Mitchell reels were very good in their day, i.e. the 1970's, I had quite a number and loved them, including 300, 440a match, etc........ However, let's not get carried away, the clutches were next to useless, even with the washing line strength line we used then, backwinding being an absolute necessity when playing anything of any size. Cardinal 54 had a much better clutch, for the 1970's, however, none are a patch, engineering or functionality wise on modern Shimano front drag reels and that is a fact, not an opinion.

The only possible reasons anyone could have to use either old mitchels or old cardinals is sentimentality, nothing more than that!!!

Why people listen to recommendations of this old tat is beyond me, utter rubbish!!

I hope anyone who listens enjoys taking the spool off in the middle of playing that fish of a lifetime and trying to untangle the mess wrapped around the shaft of their lovely mitchell :)

Yes, you could trot with them, I used to love the finger dab bail arm on my match but totally unnecessary, if you want a proper fixed spool for trotting, look at something like a Shimano Seido for example, you won't reget it.

Well said, Ian. You've saved me from upsetting the sentimental scrap dealers, again!;):D

have to agree, rose tints and all that.

That's me told then ! I grant you sentimentality does come in to it , but having used some of these so called superior modern reels they are not all they are cracked up to be , especially in the clutch dept . I can honestly say that I can only think of 3 occasions when I have lost a fish as a result of an' old school' reel malfunction . Anyway a bit of backwinding never did anyone any harm , Matt Hayes does it all the time, and he is invariably using one of the latest all singing and dancing superior modern reels ! Look at any edition of CAT and you will see one of the arguably one of the most succesful barbel anglers of modern times [ Stef Horak ] using battered old Mitchells , they work for him :)

Last edited:
That's me told then ! I grant you sentimentality does come in to it , but having used some of these so called superior modern reels they are not all they are cracked up to be , especially in the clutch dept . I can honestly say that I can only think of 3 occasions when I have lost a fish as a result of an' old school' reel malfunction . Anyway a bit of backwinding never did anyone any harm , Matt Hayes does it all the time, and he is invariably using one of the latest all singing and dancing superior modern reels ! Look at any edition of CAT and you will see one of the arguably one of the most succesful barbel anglers of modern times [ Stef Horak ] using battered old Mitchells , they work for him :)

Agreed entirely Mike. Crooky is a notorious tackle tart, aren't you Ian?

:p

Hugo

Gotta agree with you Mike, I have always used back wind, until I got the xtb's which are brilliant, but I have been using a 3500 shimano and the clutch is harrendous I don't trust shimano rear drag reels Iv had 2 that have stuck and that's the main reason Iv bought the epix pro with the front drag, as I enjoy listening to the sound of the reel when the fish is pulling line, but I don't mind back winding hav'nt lost that many fish.
Thanks

While I would tend to agree that Shimano rear drag reels don't necessarily have the best of drags, if they are that bad then they probably need a service. However, there are umpteen front drag Shimano reels. There's even been one with both front and rear in one package. Clicky.

Hey, I don't mean to upset the old farts but what I said is fact, and as for people who 5 minutes ago were asking advice on just about every aspect and now have all the answers, well, what can I say :rolleyes: :p

Yeah it is ready for a service but I think what I will do with the shimano having just bought the epix is strip it down and have a look at the fault myself and in the process learn alot about reels in general, suppose I could have took the choice of another shimano as I can't fault them overall even with the clutch problems Iv had on two different type of shimanos, as my little 3500 owes me nothing and that's why I wouldn't think twice to binning it if the problem can't be solved, but it has also took some hammer at the beginning of this season I was using it on the TT as that's all I had at the time and cranking back 5oz weights probably did the reel no good either mate.
Regards

Bah!
The use of anything other than a pin for Trotting is the work of the devil!:p

And I do so on the mighty Trent too - I simply increase the float weighting!

Back