• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting on the Wye - New member

Grant Lloyd

Hello
I am only in my 3rd week fishing the Wye and have had the most enjoyable 3 sessions (3 times fishing not 3 weeks of fishing). I have read and watch so much on float fishing and just wondered if someone could offer some very basic advice for the float set up as everything you read seems to vary - for example should I use a swivel or just main line straight through, hook bait or on the hair!? Any help would be much appreciated as this method would also appeal to my son who likes to be more active. Thanks

Imo you don't need fancy rigs.
I find something like a 4 or 5 gram avon or bolo float works well, with most of the shot bulked at about 3/4 depth and a suitable dropper shot. Personally I like a small swivel and hooklenghth, I'll use 9 or 10lb mainline and a 6 or 7lb hooklength.
Smallish pieces of meat directly on the hook, and feed hemp/meat, and maggots as a change bait has done well for me

Imo you don't need fancy rigs.
I find something like a 4 or 5 gram avon or bolo float works well, with most of the shot bulked at about 3/4 depth and a suitable dropper shot. Personally I like a small swivel and hooklenghth, I'll use 9 or 10lb mainline and a 6 or 7lb hooklength.
Smallish pieces of meat directly on the hook, and feed hemp/meat, and maggots as a change bait has done well for me
Thanks Ben. Thats really helpful. I think that's pretty much the set up I was thinking of. Just one last thing. How long would you suggest for the hook length as again there seems to be lots of varying lengths suggested!?

Back